What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Will an auditor show up on a Friday for an Unannounced SQF Audit?

Started by , Oct 03 2023 06:17 PM
9 Replies

Our site is currently pending with an unannounced audit (UAA) this year.  I am fairly new to the site and have been through several UAA in prior roles/plants, however all 60 day periods had generally fell into a sequence that allowed multiple days to conduct the audit.  Our first day for the UAA is on a Friday.  Has anyone ever experienced an auditor showing up on a Friday to return on Monday?  Just curious to if anyone has been through this.  My experience has always been that they have to conduct the audit consecutively over 2 days, however wanted to through this out to the community for any feedback.  

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Organic Audit: mass balance audits Mandatory RCA for Internal Audit NCs? FSSC v6.0 internal audit AIB audit scoring and audit checklist What Audit Software are you using?
[Ad]

I would never say never, but I think it is highly unlikely to happen. We have had 2 unannounced audits with SQF, and they on began on a Tuesday, the other, a Wednesday. We do have 2.5-day audits, so that makes sense, I doubt very much any auditor wants to come back to a facility from the previous week.

3 Likes1 Thank

I would be shocked if an auditor showed on Friday for a 2 day audit (but wouldn't bet the farm on it either way)  UNLESS they live close enough to drive back and forth

2 Likes1 Thank

Setanta and Scampi

- Thanks for your quick responses, greatly appreciated.  I have been under the same impression as I haven't heard or experienced an auditor showing up on a Friday.  

I have not heard of an over the weekend kind of audit. But have witnessed and conducted an audit that started on a Friday and went thr a Saturday and Sunday.

1 Thank

I have not heard of an over the weekend kind of audit. But have witnessed and conducted an audit that started on a Friday and went thr a Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks Glenn!  

Does your plant operate on weekends?  I've had an auditor reschedule their flight to observe production/sanitation on a Saturday before (granted, this was for an audit that wasn't going well).

Generally speaking though, if you've got a multi-day unannounced audit and you don't see them by Thursday morning, you can let your guard down a little for that week.  I've never had an auditor purposely schedule an audit to occur over a weekend even though they'd be within their right to do so.

1 Like1 Thank

Does your plant operate on weekends?  I've had an auditor reschedule their flight to observe production/sanitation on a Saturday before (granted, this was for an audit that wasn't going well).

Generally speaking though, if you've got a multi-day unannounced audit and you don't see them by Thursday morning, you can let your guard down a little for that week.  I've never had an auditor purposely schedule an audit to occur over a weekend even though they'd be within their right to do so.

No weekends thankfully!  I have always been under the impression that an auditor will only conduct and audit over consecutive days and had the same thought on a Thursdays when they didn't show up: "awaiting next week!".  Thanks for your reply!  

So a slightly different situation (and BRC not SQF) but we have two sites within 1-1/2 hours of each other that have always been audited together because the up-front processes are all managed out of a common office. They had their unannounced audits in 2022. The auditor showed up at one site on Thur. for Thur./Fri. then showed up Mon. at that other site. 

NO ONE was shocked when she showed up at the second plant even though there was a weekend in between. 

My thought is never count it out.

I agree with everyone here.  It's highly unlikely but it could happen.

Similar Discussion Topics
Organic Audit: mass balance audits Mandatory RCA for Internal Audit NCs? FSSC v6.0 internal audit AIB audit scoring and audit checklist What Audit Software are you using? Tips for upcoming NSF Certification Audit How many Non-conformances did you get at your last audit? Shadow Witness Audit Request Over lenient NSF auditor First time Costco audit, no GFSI certification