What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Microbial counting

Started by , Oct 12 2023 01:58 AM
3 Replies

I will dilution for microbiology testing but sometimes during reading of plate, i encounter that plate

10^1: has no growth

10^2 : has 10 colonies (for an example)

how should i read the result? should i assume 10^1 has no growth or TNTC?

Thank you.

1 Like
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Microbial Validation your container, container closure, and headspace treatment process Microbial Limits for Ingredients or blends Regulations for Microbial Environmental Monitoring in South Africa Does anyone have a template or an example of a written microbial control program?
[Ad]

Hi Tharsh06,

:welcome:

Welcome to the IFSQN forums.

Ideally you need 30-300 cfu on a plate to get an accurate reading. Your readings don’t make sense as 10^1 should have had a count around 100 cfu/ml or g which is not uncountable. I would repeat the tests.

You might find this useful: Introduction to Enumeration of Bacteria - North Carolina State University

Kind regards,

Tony

1 Like

I'd recommend when starting an unfamiliar matrix or new product to run your sample(s) in triplicate (if possible). I find that having that initial study where my range is much more broad helps me adjust with future versions of the sample. 

Also, is this Petrifilm or a traditional plating media? I have found that this scenario happens a lot more with petrifilm than traditional plating methods. Hope this helps :)

I'd definitely rerun the sample, as Tony suggested! 

1 Like

Hai Mr Tony, 

Noted on this. I will rerun the testing.

Hai Mr Austin, 

this issue encountered in traditional plating method. 

I will run my samples in triplicate to observe the result. 

Thank you.

Similar Discussion Topics
Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Microbial Validation your container, container closure, and headspace treatment process Microbial Limits for Ingredients or blends Regulations for Microbial Environmental Monitoring in South Africa Does anyone have a template or an example of a written microbial control program? Microbial Guidelines for RTD Cold Brew Tea Microbial Tests for the Food Packaging Industry Microbial testing on Food Packaging Microbial limits in instant noodles and seasonings Biolog and Microbial Identification at Trace Analytics