What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Microbial Limits for Ingredients or blends

Started by , Oct 18 2023 11:36 AM
4 Replies

Good day Everyone

I'm hoping some one can assist me

Is there a book/ebook/document that I could download that contains the microbial limits for dry powdered ingredients?

Something like a a master book that contains all the microbiological limits for food/components/ingredients/categories :uhm:

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated as I have been searching the net for the past weeks, and this is my last resort

TIA

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Microbial Validation your container, container closure, and headspace treatment process Microbial counting Regulations for Microbial Environmental Monitoring in South Africa Does anyone have a template or an example of a written microbial control program?
[Ad]

What you are looking for doesnt really exist.

Pathogens are more cut and dry.   ATP, coliform, YM counts are a little more subjective.  It is also somewhat dependent on application.  For instance, if i am using flour to make bread, i could be more flexible with the the microbial levels as opposed to when its used  in a product that will not undergo a heat treatment.   

1 Like1 Thank

What you are looking for doesnt really exist.

Pathogens are more cut and dry.   ATP, coliform, YM counts are a little more subjective.  It is also somewhat dependent on application.  For instance, if i am using flour to make bread, i could be more flexible with the the microbial levels as opposed to when its used  in a product that will not undergo a heat treatment.   

Hi 

Thank you

Let me give you an example

We do a powdered blend that only contains 3 ingredients which are very low risk.

A client has asked for the microbial limits for that blend

I have tried searching for that blend on the net to get a microbial limits and failed, hence was looking for maybe each ingredient microbial limit and come to a limit for the specification for our product.

Hope  this makes sense

Hi 

Thank you

Let me give you an example

We do a powdered blend that only contains 3 ingredients which are very low risk.

A client has asked for the microbial limits for that blend

I have tried searching for that blend on the net to get a microbial limits and failed, hence was looking for maybe each ingredient microbial limit and come to a limit for the specification for our product.

Hope  this makes sense

yes i understand.   You will probably not find a manual or book of some king with that info.  

my suggestion to you would be 

1.   test the product multiple times to establish the highest possible levels.   then add a little bit for some wiggle room. 

2.  use the specifications from the raw materials.    pick the ingredient with the highest limit and use it.   

3.   Your suppliers may have a ridcuously high spec limit.   for this reason a combination of #1 and #2 might make sense.   

1 Thank

Hello Twinkle,

I am not sure these will be useful, but here are a couple PDFs I have used for reference that I placed on DropBox for you.

Development and Use of Microbiological Criteria for Foods:

https://www.dropbox....lzywjkxs6g&dl=0

World Health Organization - Statistical Aspects of MIcrobiological Criteria Related to Foods:

https://www.dropbox....gekmmnknzm&dl=0

I hope this helped.

1 Like

Similar Discussion Topics
Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Microbial Validation your container, container closure, and headspace treatment process Microbial counting Regulations for Microbial Environmental Monitoring in South Africa Does anyone have a template or an example of a written microbial control program? Microbial Guidelines for RTD Cold Brew Tea Microbial Tests for the Food Packaging Industry Microbial testing on Food Packaging Microbial limits in instant noodles and seasonings Biolog and Microbial Identification at Trace Analytics