What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

BRCGS v.9 Food Safety 7.4.1 and 7.4.2 - Hair coverings in low risk non open product areas

Started by , Oct 25 2023 03:24 PM
3 Replies

Good afternoon all. 

Seeking views on BRCGS v.9 Food Safety  7.4.1 & 7.4.2 - are hair coverings deemed mandatory, even for low risk / non-open product areas?

I remember a time in earlier versions of the Standard where this would be considered 'based on risk'. Does a site have any flexibility based on risk assessment nowadays?

At very least, I feel it’s a best practice principle applicable to all areas for simplicity and cultural discipline - hence we presently maintain this (hairnets) for all production and storage areas, but your feedack in reference to the formal Standard’s requirements and its interpretation guide notes would be appreciated. 

(On a related note, does anyone have a recognised definition of 'beard' in terms of hair length (besides the 'peg' test!)?)

Thank you. 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
BRCGS 5.4.1 Process control BRCGS Haulier Transport Questionnaire BRCGS Storage and Distribution - Clause 1.1.9 BRCGS 8.1.2 - Cooked Crustacea High Risk-High Care BRCGS 3.7.2 - Does a supplier have to have a HARA/HACCP to be an approved supplier through a questionnaire?
[Ad]

I've never been involved in a BRC scheme, but I have in the past defended no hairnets in a storage warehouse adjacent to production under SQF.  The trick for me was to ensure our program was written to fully prohibit any open material in our storage areas (not even quick product samplings).  Our storage areas did not require smocks or hairnets thanks to this distinction.  Employee training discussed this heavily as well, and employees interviewed by auditors were accurate in why they could work in storage without hairnets but needed to don the smocks and hairnets before entering production.

1 Thank

Hair is a physical hazard. Wearing a hair net or cap shall be compulsory when a person enters in the food production & packaging area. The hair net or cap shall cover all hair including moustache & beard. Wearing hairnet outside production & packaging area shall be avoided to control the cross contamination.

The Beard is defined as a growth of hair on the chin and lower cheeks. Length of hair does not matter.

1 Thank

Thank you for your replies.

Similar Discussion Topics
BRCGS 5.4.1 Process control BRCGS Haulier Transport Questionnaire BRCGS Storage and Distribution - Clause 1.1.9 BRCGS 8.1.2 - Cooked Crustacea High Risk-High Care BRCGS 3.7.2 - Does a supplier have to have a HARA/HACCP to be an approved supplier through a questionnaire? Are there any new clauses in BRCGS packaging version 6 Adding new building to BRCGS Issue 6 Certification BRCGS Clause 3.11.3 - Incident management test must include a recall test? BRCGS Finished Goods Traceability BRCGS 5.4.4 - Food Fraud Risk