What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Mock Recall Exercise: Determining Recall Classification (Metal Contamination)

Started by , Dec 13 2023 04:03 PM
3 Replies

We're doing our annual mock recall exercise, and need a bit of help determining the recall class for our mock scenario.

Mock recall exercise scenario: During a PCO the crosscut slicer's stainless-steel blades were found damaged. Small pieces, or blade shavings, may have entered finished product. Metal detector would not have alarmed if SS piece is <5.0mm (our validated critical limit for SS). The finished products are ready-to-eat crosscut pickles in bulk packaging, intended for foodservice. Our direct customers are foodservice distributors. 

This is where our team is getting a bit stuck: the quote below states that objects <7mm rarely cause serious injury or trauma except in special risk groups. Does that mean that in our mock scenario above, it would be a Class II (may cause temporary or medically reversible health consequences, probability of serious adverse health consequences is remote) recall rather than Class I (reasonable probability that use or exposure will cause serious adverse health consequences or death)? So Class I or Class II recall?

From CPG Sec. 555.425; Foods, Adulteration Involving Hard or Sharp Foreign Objects: 

Hard or sharp foreign objects in food may cause traumatic injury including laceration and perforation of tissues of the mouth, tongue, throat, stomach and intestine as well as damage to the teeth and gums. From 1972 through 1997, the FDA Health Hazard Evaluation Board evaluated approximately 190 cases of hard or sharp foreign objects in food. These include cases of both injury and non-injury reported to FDA. The Board found that foreign objects that are less than 7 mm, maximum dimension, rarely cause trauma or serious injury except in special risk groups such as infants, surgery patients, and the elderly. The scientific and clinical literature supports this conclusion.  

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
SQF Mock Recalls Mock Recalls - Seafood and Beef Can we make up an incident for the crisis management mock exercise? Mock Traceability Exercise for Wholesale Mock Crisis Report Template
[Ad]

This would be a class 2 recall. 

1 Like1 Thank

In my opinion ,it should be class 1 and the blade piece could be sharp enogh which could serious issues.

1 Like1 Thank

I'd vote class 2.  Not to downplay the hazard in the slightest, but beyond a cut in the mouth I don't see the hazard creating likely potential for death or serious adverse health consequences.

Similar Discussion Topics
SQF Mock Recalls Mock Recalls - Seafood and Beef Can we make up an incident for the crisis management mock exercise? Mock Traceability Exercise for Wholesale Mock Crisis Report Template Looking for a sample mock drill plan? Can we use Mock Recall information for a Traceability Exercise Customer requesting information for mock recall Mock recall during SQF audit Food Safety Emergency Mock Drills