What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Area Thermometer Calibration

Started by , Dec 14 2023 07:57 PM
3 Replies

I am looking at putting in digital room temperature sensors/monitors that record temps to the cloud for monitoring and alarm notifications, note; my room temperatures are my CCP's, we are a fresh meat operation. The sensors I am looking at installing come with a NIST calibration record that is good for a year. Each new calibration will cost $165 per sensor which is a deterrent to weekly or even monthly calibrations, in addition they need to be sent out to a calibration lab. Currently I calibrate digital stick thermometers that are used in the rooms weekly. I have yet to find where a digital stick thermometer is off by more that .7 degrees F. in years of calibrating digital thermometers, either they work or they don't. Is it possible to write a calibration program to calibrate a digital thermometer annually providing it is calibrated to NIST standards at an outside lab and use the NIST calibration documentation as record?

Thank you

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Enclosed shipping area: Mandatory or preferably? HACCP plan for chocolate and risk area decision tree High risk area with positive pressure and microbiological air filtration What is the requirement for damaged ingredient bags in dry storage area? Product cooling (RTE) in an ingredient storage area
[Ad]

Yes you can write calibration program in that way.

1 Thank

Thank you, however my supporting documentation that I can find only states weekly for thermometer calibration requirements, how do I get around that?

Thank you, however my supporting documentation that I can find only states weekly for thermometer calibration requirements, how do I get around that?

I think that there are two subjects that we are using interchangeably.   Calibration and verification.   

You should probably be verifying that even a NIST certified thermometer is accurate with some frequency.   

In your case, if a thermometer was found out of calibration after a year in service, you would have a CCP non conformance for the entire year.   

example:  calibrated annually.  verified as accurate daily, weekly, monthly, etc.   

Similar Discussion Topics
Enclosed shipping area: Mandatory or preferably? HACCP plan for chocolate and risk area decision tree High risk area with positive pressure and microbiological air filtration What is the requirement for damaged ingredient bags in dry storage area? Product cooling (RTE) in an ingredient storage area BRCGS Cleaning equipment in clean area SQF Code 11.2.5.6 - Cleaning Area Alternatives to Clear Adhesive tape for walls in production area Shipping and receiving area temperature Allergen Management Grinding Process on the same area and the same time but different machine