What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

For temperature cooling does the time limit of 2-hour start when the temperature is at 135 °F for the sauce?

Started by , Dec 22 2023 11:34 PM
4 Replies

For temperature cooling does the time limit of 2-hour start when the temperature is at 135 °F for the sauce? Our sauce is boiled up to 212 °F but bringing it down to 70 °F from 212 °F is a big challenge so I was wondering if the bacteria does not grow when it is above 135 °F and the cooling time of 2 hours starts only when it reaches 135 °F. 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Limit of detection for X-ray machine Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Temperature recording document in Excel First time Costco audit, no GFSI certification Frozen meals - cooling requirements
[Ad]

I'm not 100% sure what you are talking about.   I believe the answer is yes.   You want to stay out of the food danger zone.    40-140.

However, 70 is in the danger zone.   Which is where i am confused.   

if you want to rapidly cool a liquid, the best bet is a plate heat exchanger of some kind.   

just fyi  - lots of bacteria will survive and grow at higher temps such as 135.  example thermophiles.  Pathogens usually will not.   

Use plate heat exchanger or tube in tube heat exchanger to cool the material in a short time.

Not sure what your industry is, but if you are in catering or a restaurant, then I believe the standard for chilling soups is 140 to 70 degrees in two hours, and continue to chill from 70 to 40 degrees in no more than four hours.  Yes, your time to start the clock for the chilling process is when the soup reaches 140 and then you start the clock again once it reaches 70.   If you are in the food production industry then look for scientific articles on chilling soups to get the best time and temperature limits for chilling.

2 Likes

212 -> 140: no time limit 

140 -> 70: 2 hours

70 -> 40: 4 hours

140 to 40 must be within 6 total hours and the clock starts as soon as it hits 140.

Similar Discussion Topics
Limit of detection for X-ray machine Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Temperature recording document in Excel First time Costco audit, no GFSI certification Frozen meals - cooling requirements What would be the best temperature and relative humidity for our rice mill warehouse storage facility? Help with Process Development for Dressings, Sauce, Dips Plant BRC Unannounced Audit Time Water Concentration recommended for a cooling bath using Sodium hypochlorite 12.5% Pasteurized Milk Ordinance - 72 hour storage tank rule