What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Packaging of pre cook chicken already approved by USDA

Started by , Jan 04 2024 05:01 PM
4 Replies

If my facility gets pre cook chicken that is already USDA approved, would I need a USDA inspector in the facility? The pre cook chicken won't be cook in the facility just packaged and sold in retail setting. 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Environmental Monitoring for a plastics packaging facility Hairnets for a packaging component manufacturing facility HACCP Training for Flexible Packaging Industry OPP Packaging leavening milky residue when in contact with water Shelf Life of Primary Packaging
[Ad]

What exactly is the process? Pre-cooked chicken that is frozen? In bags or cases? How is it being repackaged? If the mark of inspection is being applied to any package or label at your facility, then yes you will definitely need an inspector. If cases of frozen chicken are not being opened/relabeled and just re-palletized then perhaps not (I'm only familiar with plant procedures versus a blast freezer or distribution center)

Need to know more specifics on your process and what exactly is being done. Do you have a Grant of Inspection and a USDA P number? HACCP/SSOP?

I am going to say broadly speaking, yes.

We used pre-cooked, frozen chicken and only 'assemble' the chicken into another item. We do not further process the chicken, and we DO need USDA on site.

If my facility gets pre cook chicken that is already USDA approved, would I need a USDA inspector in the facility? The pre cook chicken won't be cook in the facility just packaged and sold in retail setting. 

Yes you do. You can't use another facilities USDA number. There is no getting around this. 

Meat products need a USDA seal. If you re-package something - you are doing something to it and now requires a label with the USDA inspection seal. 

Using someone else's USDA seal (even another site owned by the same company) or not having one is considered a recall. The USDA will recall it. No questions asked. 

1 Like

Absolutely, the poultry industry doesn't play xD! 

Similar Discussion Topics
Environmental Monitoring for a plastics packaging facility Hairnets for a packaging component manufacturing facility HACCP Training for Flexible Packaging Industry OPP Packaging leavening milky residue when in contact with water Shelf Life of Primary Packaging Net Weight Requirements for Combination Gift Packaging Steamed dumpling packaging Magnets used in plastics packaging processing Food Contact Packaging Letter of Guarantee Example Packaging manufacturing and tape.