What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Water Supply Monitoring

Started by , Jan 18 2024 12:48 AM
7 Replies

Even if your site's water comes from a town or regional water supply, does the SQF code require for us to verify its safety by conducting our own water monitoring? If so, how do I go on about monitoring the water used for the production? If we do not need to do a monitoring, how can we show that the local water is safe for usage and complies with the SQF code?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Aqualab 4te Water activity meter CIRKUL water bottles Glove Dip Station filled with water and chlorine - is this normal? OPP Packaging leavening milky residue when in contact with water Reusable Water Bottles on plant floor
[Ad]

Yes you have to test municipal water.  It is possible that you water distribution system can have issues as well.  I would at least obtain samples form point of use and send to a third party lab for potability testing.  I would not test it in house unless you are familiar with the proper methods.  The frequency and sampling sites should be based on risk. 

I would also have a copy of the testing that the municipality has completed. They are usually done every other year.  

you  should do the main line into the building AND random locations that you rotate throughout the facility.  This is how you prove your water lines are not a source of contamination

1 Like

Even if your site's water comes from a town or regional water supply, does the SQF code require for us to verify its safety by conducting our own water monitoring? If so, how do I go on about monitoring the water used for the production? If we do not need to do a monitoring, how can we show that the local water is safe for usage and complies with the SQF code?

You really need to do both. Get the municipal water quality report and perform point of use sampling if you use the municipal supply for any of your processes. We don't use water so I take one sample at the furthest point from the entry at each building then take them to a local city water department that has a lab and have them do a coliform and E.coli test. That has satisfied our auditors. 

Yes you have to test municipal water.  It is possible that you water distribution system can have issues as well.  I would at least obtain samples form point of use and send to a third party lab for potability testing.  I would not test it in house unless you are familiar with the proper methods.  The frequency and sampling sites should be based on risk. 

I would also have a copy of the testing that the municipality has completed. They are usually done every other year.  

Could you recommend which microbial tests is required for water to satisfy SQF standard? I was thinking about E. Coli and coliform. Would that be enough?

E.coli and total coliforms are satisfactory

I get the municipal report as well as send samples for analysis at a third party lab. Samples are taken from various places within the facility.

1 Like1 Thank

E.coli and total coliforms are satisfactory

I get the municipal report as well as send samples for analysis at a third party lab. Samples are taken from various places within the facility.

Same here.....  I test annually.  If you use water in your product, perhaps you'll do more.   We just use it for cleaning.

Could you recommend which microbial tests is required for water to satisfy SQF standard? I was thinking about E. Coli and coliform. Would that be enough?

that is all i have ever had an auditor ask for - potability.   But really its based on risk.   If your product / process is such that all micro is a concern you may want to include total plate, Y/M, etc/.  

Similar Discussion Topics
Aqualab 4te Water activity meter CIRKUL water bottles Glove Dip Station filled with water and chlorine - is this normal? OPP Packaging leavening milky residue when in contact with water Reusable Water Bottles on plant floor Specifications for Micro Testing of Water used in Food Production Water Concentration recommended for a cooling bath using Sodium hypochlorite 12.5% Water hoses and nozzles - maintenance and cleaning schedule Customer complaints for excess water in onions Shipping of salted casings and water retention regulation