What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Listeria Monocytogenes in RTE foods

Started by , Sep 25 2006 04:22 AM
8 Replies
Hi - I am looking for information on what is the acceptable level of L. monocytogenes in ready to eat foods. Specifically a frozen meal that is to be thawed and reheated (not to a kill temp). We currently run to a level of <10 but I am wondering if anyone has a validated limit of <100 or such and what reference you used.

Thanks
Steve
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
How to conduct sampling for Listeria Monocytogenes? Listeria mitigation guideline What tools would you recommend to test e.coli, salmonella and listeria? Listeria testing UK Legislation On Shelf Life Terminology In Relation To Listeria
[Ad]
Dear Steve,

The answer as usual is that "it may depend".
This set of Uk "guidelines" may help -
eg http://www.hpa.org.u...uides_micro.pdf

But you can see there is a relevance regarding production / point of sale testing / product type although I guess this would be particularly involved in non-deepfrozen items (except perhaps for yr thawing comment which is a bit unusual step for me and obviously adds another variable).

Regulatory data will inevitably depend on the product (I think there are other zero tolerance items also) and where you are, there are accessible sets for EU, Oceania, US etc + there are EU/US MRAs for L.mono. in RTE foods also (eg see the Micro. criteria thread in this forum).

Rgds / Charles.C

added - it is possible that where there is an overlap, the EU regs valid from JAN 2006 may take precedence over the UK link above (ie I don't know, maybe someone else here does?). the EU regs together with some interpretative chunks can be seen here -

http://www.chilledfo...e...2 12 05.pdf

eg http://www.hpa.org.u...uides_micro.pdf

Hail to the cyberking of Saferpak - CharlesC.
Very kind of you Charles. Perhaps that should include the IT community also, not to mention that every answer requires a questioner which is often the hardest part I think.

Rgds / Charles.C

Very kind of you Charles. Perhaps that should include the IT community also, not to mention that every answer requires a questioner which is often the hardest part I think.

I know Charles, it really has gone quiet around here lately, seems to be just you, me and a few thousand tons of tumbleweed. That'd make a nice emoticon. Never mind we can start using these again soon. Reminds me this year has really flown by - scary.

Simon
Dear Simon,

Actually I was more thinking of the difficulty in thinking up worthwhile questions to post (or even unworthwhile ones for that matter ) but since you mentioned the quietness factor, are u still studying the domain/skin change or has Xmas taken it over ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Dear Simon,

Actually I was more thinking of the difficulty in thinking up worthwhile questions to post (or even unworthwhile ones for that matter ) but since you mentioned the quietness factor, are u still studying the domain/skin change or has Xmas taken it over ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Yes I have been discussing today with the experts. It's not straightforward, but it will be happening soon. I will let you kow the plan as soon as I have it.

Simon
www.chilledfood.org

you might like to try here. this is the latest EU Micro regs explained in English!

Similar Discussion Topics
How to conduct sampling for Listeria Monocytogenes? Listeria mitigation guideline What tools would you recommend to test e.coli, salmonella and listeria? Listeria testing UK Legislation On Shelf Life Terminology In Relation To Listeria Listeria Policy countries outside of US How would you kill listeria if it is present in the drains and floors? Listeria monocytogenes - How Tough are You? Listeria mono in frozen vegetables Listeria Monitoring Frozen Fruit and Vegetables