What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Safety reason or product presentation reason?

Started by , Oct 09 2006 10:25 PM
4 Replies
Hello everybody

This is my second attempt; I must have done some wrong because my question has not been posted on the forum.

After attending the Internation Frozen Seafood Exhibition and see lots of products and presentations and talk to some companies representatives one doubt came to my mind.

I would like to know the reason why a frozen product is vacuum packed. is that a safety / product preservation reason or it is just good lookig presentation of the product ?

From a HACCP point of view, the hazards and/risks are the same for a "frozen product vacuum packed" than for a just " wrapped ( with a film ) frozen product " ?

Regards

Esther
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Example of How to Assess Your Food Safety Culture Food safety culture How would you rate the food safety culture in your workplace? Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ?
[Ad]
Dear Ester,

Vacuum packing is a preferred approach as it has to do with the preservation of fish quality against sublimation and precipitation of water vapour that could result in dehydration and frost formation which are two of the main deterioration modes of frozen sea foods.

If the packaging barrier impact strength is inadequate (high permeability penetration) , it could also lead to oxidation resulting loss of flavour and odor pick up.

Hope this clears your doubt

This PDF may be a useful read:

Guidance for Processing Reduced Oxygen Packaged (ROP) of Raw, Frozen, Seafood in Retail Operations

Regards,
Simon

Dear Simon and Charles

Sorry for the delay in saying Thank you for your answers, I first and last saw them on October.

Charles, I did refer to a frozen product that had been previosly glazed so dehydratation is not likely to happen as long as the storage temperature is right ¿? So after reading the Simon's link seems like "good presentation suitable for being labelled and a hygienic handling" are the mains reasons.

Sincerely
Esther
Dear Esther,

Regarding yr HACCP query, Suggest you consult this ref . which compares various packaging situations with respect to CCPs -

http://www.cfsan.fda...m/haccp4c3.html

Happy New Year

Rgds / Charles.C

Similar Discussion Topics
Example of How to Assess Your Food Safety Culture Food safety culture How would you rate the food safety culture in your workplace? Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ? Food Safety Videos- Recommendations? food safety 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Food safety culture plan