What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Shelf Life Of Marinated Foods

Started by , Apr 02 2008 01:31 PM
12 Replies
Dear All

I would like to know the shelf life for any marinated foods like marinated fish, chicken etc. once it is placed in the chiller(below 5oC).

Regards,

J
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Stability Shelf-Life Shelf Life of Primary Packaging Cause of condensation in shelf stable dressing cup Yeast and Latic Acid limits for Poultry Shelf Life Testing Shelf Life Testing Risk Assessment
[Ad]
Frankly it depends on your own standard and the initial microbial load including potential histamine formation on fish, salmonella load in the chooks etc, etc .
Well, its not RTE so IMO I would put a SL of 24 hours.

I think the ones in the hypermarket store seem to last forever.

Cheers
Dear Jean,

This article may assist -

Marinating.pdf   88.59KB   275 downloads

Regards / Charles.C
Dear Charles and Suzuki,

Thanks for your replies and reference. The shelf life for marinated foods which we have set was 24 hours;and I just wanted to know what was the practice in other parts of the world.

Best Regards,

J
I don't see why it needs to be as short as 24 hours? Marinating the fish / meat is likely to increase the micro loading if spices are used but also depending on what ingredients are in the marinade (e.g. salt, sugar and some herbs / spices), it might actually have a protective effect.

I seem to remember that there is a rule on chicken in the UK or guidelines that you don't sell after kill + 12 days but I can't remember where that was from. I have certainly sold marinated chicken in recipe meals with up to 8 days life before (below 5 degrees.)
Oh and if you get any Salmonellae growth in the chiller, it will be very slow and should be killed by cooking.
Dear GMO,

Don't know about UK but USA and Australia seem to prefer 1-2 days and 3 days respectively (for poultry). Maybe an increased safety factor for marinated due the manipulations.

usfda_refrigerator_and_freezer_storage_chart____fttstore.html   15.87KB   168 downloads

refrigerated_storage_.htm   29.76KB   143 downloads

Rgds / Charles.C
There would be no hideous barbeque products in the UK if we stuck to 1 day! Though that might not be a bad thing...
Dear Pontocritico,

Thanks for the link. But couldn’t find any shelf life mentioned for marinated (raw) meat/ poultry. Under poultry section there is a shelf life mentioned as below and was doubtful if this can be applicable for marinated products?
"Pieces covered with broth or gravy”

BR,

J
The abstract of this article looks applicable:

http://www.cababstra...cNo=20053117900

I honestly can't see why the life can't be days. If for example, you marinaded the chicken 4 days after it was killed; I would try for 8 days shelf life and do pathogen testing and cooked organoleptic testing over that time.
A useful link -

“A guide to calculating the shelf life of foods – New Zealand Food Safety Authority”

http://www.nzfsa.gov...lflife1-2-2.pdf

Regards,

J
1 Thank
Dear Jean,

Interesting link. Some useful information but unfortunately doesn’t include a specific example to show how a shelf life result calculated. This is not a criticism since after several looks around the IT, I equally failed to find any such info except where it pointed to certain standard textbooks (eg Shelf life of foods IFST 1993).

I did find this link (rather similar to previous post) which claims to include references (in Appendix3) to some IT downloadable programs (free?) for predicting shelf life but I couldn’t find them myself. Maybe someone else is clever enough to locate them.

http://www.fsai.ie/p..._notes/gn18.pdf

Rgds / Charles.C

Similar Discussion Topics
Stability Shelf-Life Shelf Life of Primary Packaging Cause of condensation in shelf stable dressing cup Yeast and Latic Acid limits for Poultry Shelf Life Testing Shelf Life Testing Risk Assessment Milk powder - short shelf life Shelf life of vacuumed rainbow trout fillets Pasteurizing Chilli Relish to extend shelf life Shelf life issue fresh fish Shelf Life Standards