What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Enviromental Management - waste reduction ideas!

Started by , Jun 08 2009 09:50 PM
12 Replies
I was wondering if any body has any further tips for Enviromental Management.

I understand some fundamentals i.e.

Turning of ligh swithces when not in use.
Food waste going to license holders.
Recyleing Cardboard and plastics.
Water.

The reaseons i ask is i am up for a new position and enviroment management is part of my remit.

Please can someone help..........
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Assessing the need for zoning and Enviromental monitoring InSite Rapid Enviromental Listeria Species Test (Hygiena) Enviromental Monitoring Program - Poultry Slaughterhouse Enviromental Swabbing of a low risk bakery line SQF 2.4.8 Enviromental Monitoring
[Ad]
Dear Stoker

IMO...you can do :

1. make list your waste
2. you can sperate them by categories :
1. Reused
2. Recycle
3. Reject

3. put the waste by categories
4. treat the waste as ussual.

Hope can help you....
I would start with the environmental policy if your company has one – what are the stated aims and objectives of the policy? Aims and objectives may be meeting legal requirements, reducing internal and external environmental impacts and saving the business money.

Then you need to understand what legal requirements relating to the environment are applicable to your particular business, what are your main environmental impacts, where are the greatest cost savings?

I would go this way rather than diving straight into actions – it will help you structure your environmental improvement plans and ensure that you put first things first.

Regards,
Simon
dear a stoker,

maybe its come up already but one route is to google iso 14000. People hv published complete quality manuals on the net and the associated procedures required to comply with this standard. I can recall browsing through some while researching ISO 9001.

Rgds / Charles.C
Thanks for comments so far but i require further clarification as i am havin a blonde moment regarding this.

i havent read the leglislation on this but i am sure i did this in my previous role i.e. recycle card and plastics, ensure we were using the right amount of flow wrap on materials, Introduced sensors on corridors, toilets etc so lights were not on when not required

Are these the things i need to focus on

Sorry to be a pain.........

Cheers

Thanks for comments so far but i require further clarification as i am havin a blonde moment regarding this.

i havent read the leglislation on this but i am sure i did this in my previous role i.e. recycle card and plastics, ensure we were using the right amount of flow wrap on materials, Introduced sensors on corridors, toilets etc so lights were not on when not required

Are these the things i need to focus on

Sorry to be a pain.........

Cheers

I'm sure you will find this resource useful reading:

Environmental improvement

If you have any specific questions please feel free to post them.

Regards,
Simon
This Energy Star - Bring Green to Work website has some interesting information that might be helpful.

http://www.energysta...ygtw.showSplash

This Energy Star - Bring Green to Work website has some interesting information that might be helpful.

http://www.energysta...ygtw.showSplash

Thanks for the link.
Hey thank you for the links. Both the links have awesome information.

Hey thank you for the links. Both the links have awesome information.

Watch the video

Whether your the office CEO, the company intern or the building engineer you can take steps where you work to help fight global warming.

Dear Stoker

IMO...you can do :

1. make list your waste
2. you can sperate them by categories :
1. Reused
2. Recycle
3. Reject

3. put the waste by categories
4. treat the waste as ussual.

Hope can help you....

If you intend to "treat the waste as usual" after seperation, then there is very little benefit in the seperation process.
Identify the constituent waste streams within the business.
Identify methods of disposal which incorporate the reuse / recycle / recover principles.
identify licensed waste carriers for disposal.
Ensure ALL waste collections are accompanied by a Waste Transfer Note (legal obligation).

In addition, monitor your current usages (water, electricity, parts, packaging etc) develop plans based on usage to reduce these.

bish bash bosh

Ss

toodle pip
Just an idea that I had come acrossed with. Probably 1 way of saving mother earth is by reducing plastic usage. How can this be possible?

1. By encouraging the use of green bags.
2. Prices of plastic bags should be tripled or quadrupled as to discourage the use of these plastic bags. In Taiwan, each plastic bag is x15 than the normal price (price governed by the gov't).

So think about it

-Harvey C.
'Green house'

Make a rooms / compartments by your wastage

Dump glass related items in one compartment so it can be recycled - glass blowing manufacturer requires it.
Barrel, drums in another compartment - can be reused
Paper, cardboards in another compartment for recycle
Aluminium, iron scrap in another compartment for recycle -
and so on..

(according to your country requirement)

Similar Discussion Topics
Assessing the need for zoning and Enviromental monitoring InSite Rapid Enviromental Listeria Species Test (Hygiena) Enviromental Monitoring Program - Poultry Slaughterhouse Enviromental Swabbing of a low risk bakery line SQF 2.4.8 Enviromental Monitoring