• Quick Navigation
Photo
- - - - -

InSite Rapid Enviromental Listeria Species Test (Hygiena)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LILDANNY50

LILDANNY50

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2020 - 04:12 PM

Hi All, 

Has anyone used the InSite Rapid Enviromental Listeria Species Tests by Hygiena. 

This would save us in lab costs vs sending our listeria tests to a lab. 

Does anyone have any pros/cons of these? Or any issues with BRC or UK retailers having a problem using these over a traditional lab swab? 

Of course I would validate their use annually with lab swabs too, but on a weekly basis this could save alot. 

Many thanks in advance for any input. 

Thank you.

#2 nwilson

nwilson

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 46 posts
  • 25 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 March 2020 - 04:22 PM

We use them currently as an indicator swab.  They are easy to use and we haven't had any issues with SQF (can't speak on BRC/UK).  We still send out quarterly swabs to the lab as this frequency was determined as part of our EMP risk assessment.  

:coffee:

Thanked by 1 Member:

#3 zanorias

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 650 posts
  • 186 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddle-boarding, Nature

Posted 20 March 2020 - 04:48 PM

I have used these, but not instead of lab tested swabs. The Hygiena rapid swabs are great for being quick and cheap, but the lack of numeration and species identification is the flaw and reason I wouldn't use these in the scheduled EMP. If there was listeria present I wanted to know how much and which species, considering the differences between mono/other and the reality of expecting 0 listeria in a meat processing factory.

However, I found the swabs very useful for ad hoc investigation; you can test a lot of locations and have results back within 48 hours. Handy in testing after re-cleaning following a hit on the EMP. BRC and 2 UK retail customers were happy with this use as long as it is properly validated alongside lab tested samples.

Edit - also, with BRC in mind, if you are testing on-site make sure it is fully segregated from production and storage areas as per 5.6.2.1.

Edited by zanorias, 20 March 2020 - 04:54 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

#4 Juribe

Juribe

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 March 2020 - 09:50 PM

We implemented these last year and have since used them to replace the lab swabbing we previously did. We still send finished products to labs to test for micros and pathogens, but use the Hygiena swabs for our environmental monitoring program. In the last year we have saves thousands of dollars because of them, great products.

Thanked by 1 Member:

#5 mcright

mcright

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:12 AM

We use them. They are very easy to use and practical. If you want to test for L.monocytogenes they have InSite L. mono Glo, but you need an ultraviolet inspection lamp. We continue to send our final product to an external laboratory for pathogen testing.

Thanked by 1 Member:

#6 kettlecorn

kettlecorn

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 71 posts
  • 22 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:45 PM

We use them too, along with the Salmonella tests. We're pretty much in the situation Juribe is in. We send out finished product for testing before it is released, so right now the Hygiena is a monitoring system that allows us to catch and diagnose any problems preventively. I also would not hesitate to use third-party labs if an issue came up. 

#7 kettlecorn

kettlecorn

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 71 posts
  • 22 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 March 2020 - 05:01 PM

If there was listeria present I wanted to know how much and which species, considering the differences between mono/other and the reality of expecting 0 listeria in a meat processing factory.

I should mention we do not process meat, hence why I'm not concerned in our facility about using Hygiena (almost) exclusively. If your facility expects a lot of positives, the Hygiena swabs won't really tell you anything, since they can't distinguish between different strains of Listeria. 

#8 Charles.C

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 16,603 posts
  • 4645 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:20 AM

Same day results for Listeria are available with Neogen technology but an in-house lab required + deep pockets.

https://www.neogen.c...nalyte;listeria

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/30305206

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

EV SSL Certificate