What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How to analyze the quality of fondant

Started by , Feb 11 2010 03:02 PM
2 Replies
Hello everyone!

Our company plans to produce fondant. Therefore I have to analyze the particelsize of the sugarcrystals, the density and the viscosity of the fondant.

I know that the crystalsize can be meassured with an optical system like Horiba LA900 and the viscosity with a rotational viscometer. But I know thta both methods are for our companyleaders way to expensive. I never get those.

Can anyone tell me some other solutions?
Does anyone have experience in producing fondant?
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Salary for Quality Control Supervisor HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards
[Ad]
Hi Chac,

We have a HORIBA machine and it works great to identify fine particles. But since you do not have one, perhaps you can mix the fondant with alcohol to disperse the crystals, dry them, and pass them through a series of sieves to find out their size.

As for viscosity, you can consider a consistometer. It is cheaper than the viscometer and easier to use.

Not the best of solutions, but I hope it helps somehow, at least until some fondant expert comes along and drop some advice.

Attached Files

Hi Chac,

We have a HORIBA machine and it works great to identify fine particles. But since you do not have one, perhaps you can mix the fondant with alcohol to disperse the crystals, dry them, and pass them through a series of sieves to find out their size.

Thanks for your reply. I know that a HORIBA machine works well but my leaders will collapse when they look at the prize of it . But I will see if I can do your suggested method. Here the problem is that we do not have a series of sieves. So far the particle size in general never has been analyzed.

Similar Discussion Topics
Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Salary for Quality Control Supervisor HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards Building a Sustainable Culture of Quality and Food Safety Annual Food Safety & Quality Training Burger Quality Concern Greasiness Example of Quality Objectives According to BRC Issue 6 How to make a Quality Manual?