What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Prevention of Listeria in food processing plants

Started by , Mar 11 2010 02:38 PM
4 Replies
I understand the Effective control of L. monocytogenes requires prevention of contamination (to the extent possible) and prevention of growth through time/temperature or formulation control. Knowledge of potential harborage sites is important, as contamination is more likely to occur when the organism has become established in a niche. Food processing plant surveys have found Listeria in the following locations (listed approximately in the order of prevalence):
  • floors
  • drains
  • coolers
  • cleaning aids such as brushes, sponges, etc.
  • product and/or equipment wash areas
  • food contact surfaces
  • condensate
  • walls and ceilings
  • compressed air
Does anyone have sources of slide shows to better illustrate Listeria prevention ?
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Organic Fraud Prevention Guide Food Fraud Prevention Plan to satisfy FSSC 22000 Version4.1? X-Ray - Foreign Material Prevention Methods for Hair Prevention Pest prevention for spices and botanicals
[Ad]
pLS GO TO www.fsis.usda.gov you will get valuable information.

Rahul
Thanks for you assistance

I understand the Effective control of L. monocytogenes requires prevention of contamination (to the extent possible) and prevention of growth through time/temperature or formulation control. Knowledge of potential harborage sites is important, as contamination is more likely to occur when the organism has become established in a niche. Food processing plant surveys have found Listeria in the following locations (listed approximately in the order of prevalence):

• floors
  • drains
  • coolers
  • cleaning aids such as brushes, sponges, etc.
  • product and/or equipment wash areas
  • food contact surfaces
  • condensate
  • walls and ceilings
  • compressed air
Does anyone have sources of slide shows to better illustrate Listeria prevention ?

I am not sure about your order of prevalence. I would be seriously worried if I found Listeria on food contact surfaces or food contact surface cleaning equipment.

Regards,

Tony

pLS GO TO www.fsis.usda.gov you will get valuable information.

Rahul

Thanks for the link Rahul

This looks quite useful:

http
://origin-www.fsis.usda.gov/Frame/Fram.../harborage.htm

Regards,

Tony

Similar Discussion Topics
Organic Fraud Prevention Guide Food Fraud Prevention Plan to satisfy FSSC 22000 Version4.1? X-Ray - Foreign Material Prevention Methods for Hair Prevention Pest prevention for spices and botanicals X-Ray Foreign Material prevention in Dry Pasta Foreign material prevention and detection strategies Foreign material prevention and detection strategies Foreign material prevention and detection strategies Infection prevention and emergency preparedness: lessons learned from the Healthcare industry