What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Hygiene clearance procedure

Started by , Jun 09 2010 02:05 PM
5 Replies

We are currently implementing the BRC-IOP norm in our plant. As manufacturer of cellulose casings for the meat industry (primarily sausages), which is basically a chemical process, it is quite a challenge to comply with the BRC-IOP requirements. One of the topics is a hygiene clearance procedure. Does anyone have expierience with a practical procedure that covers this topic? If so, are you willing to discus and/or share this procedure with me?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Updated versions of CODEX General Principles of Food Hygiene Published HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards Personal Hygiene Audit Template
[Ad]

We are currently implementing the BRC-IOP norm in our plant. As manufacturer of cellulose casings for the meat industry (primarily sausages), which is basically a chemical process, it is quite a challenge to comply with the BRC-IOP requirements. One of the topics is a hygiene clearance procedure. Does anyone have expierience with a practical procedure that covers this topic? If so, are you willing to discus and/or share this procedure with me?

Hello Ive and Welcome to the forums. Difficult or not the reason for the requirement for a hygiene clearance procedure following maintenance work is because it is known that there is a risk at this point for introducing potential contaminants into the product.

I have attached an example form for ideas. It's not so difficult to implement, but changing the mindset of engineers may prove more difficult.

Attached Files

4 Thanks

Hello Ive and Welcome to the forums. Difficult or not the reason for the requirement for a hygiene clearance procedure following maintenance work is because it is known that there is a risk at this point for introducing potential contaminants into the product.

I have attached an example form for ideas. It's not so difficult to implement, but changing the mindset of engineers may prove more difficult.

Thanks Simon. Yes you are right about the biggest challenge being changing people's behavior.

"Nobody likes change, except a baby with a wet diaper"
This form for hygiene after maintenance helps me as well but I was wondering about a different say to do this. We have a maintenance program where all the repairs of the machines get entered into a program for our records and so we know what our bottle necks are. The mechanics fill out what we call "work orders" and turn them in at the end of the shift to be entered into the system. Would it be acceptable if we added something to the "work orders" that verifies that the mechanics cleaned the equipment? I was thinking about just adding a line and a box to check off after cleaning.

Dear Jaredkkrischel,

I would accept such method. However I would prefer a method where responsible staff from producion line (e.g. operator or production manager) signs off the maintenance order or failure report.
I thought that this is actually the interpretation of the BRC. However I can not find anything written about this.

Thanks Simon. Yes you are right about the biggest challenge being changing people's behavior.

"Nobody likes change, except a baby with a wet diaper"

My son doesn't even like that!

Similar Discussion Topics
Updated versions of CODEX General Principles of Food Hygiene Published HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards Personal Hygiene Audit Template Hygiene and fabrication inspection template for BRCGS GHPs-HACCP : General Principles of Food Hygiene Rev.2022 Personal Hygiene BRCV9 - 7.2.1 Looking for Factory a Hygiene Checklist Hand Swabs of Food Handlers as verification of hand hygiene