What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Process Parameters for steam sterilization of Poppy seeds and Sesame s

Started by , Aug 23 2010 09:26 AM
2 Replies
Dear All

I would be glad if anybody could help me in establishing the process parameter of steam sterilization of Poppy seeds and Sesame seeds.

Process parameters such as temperature and hold time at that particular temperature.

In fact we are manufacture steam sterilizers but our application is limited to pharma industry.

We have received this new application of spices hence if anybody could help me I would be highly obliged.

Thanks

Dhruv

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Packing process for a new beverage Mayonnaise Glass Bottling Plant Process Should you list your preventative controls on your HACCP process flow chart? BRCGS 5.4.1 Process control Requirements for Work In Process WIP
[Ad]
BUMP for Dhruv.

Dear All

I would be glad if anybody could help me in establishing the process parameter of steam sterilization of Poppy seeds and Sesame seeds.

Process parameters such as temperature and hold time at that particular temperature.

In fact we are manufacture steam sterilizers but our application is limited to pharma industry.

We have received this new application of spices hence if anybody could help me I would be highly obliged.

Thanks

Dhruv

Well generally the application of 121 degree temperature for 15-20 minutes at 15-17 psi is sufficient in an autoclave to sterilize most items (depending on the model and size). But that's an autoclave, which is only one type of steam sterilizer, but there are other types and I'm not sure which type you have in mind.
One question though, since these are presumably dried seeds, I would think that a steam sterilizer would have the effect of causing the seeds to swell and absorb the water, changing their consistency and nature. It may not matter depending on the product you're putting them in (ie soup) but may for others (ie bread). Putting wet seeds on a dry product may actually increase the chance that they will grow bacteria or mold later. I don't know if that would matter to you or not as I don't know the use for the spices. Don't know if that will help or not. You could probably do some research on various steam sterilizers and check what the company has to say about their usage and what they're good for. They likely have done most of the legwork for you already.
1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Packing process for a new beverage Mayonnaise Glass Bottling Plant Process Should you list your preventative controls on your HACCP process flow chart? BRCGS 5.4.1 Process control Requirements for Work In Process WIP Small manufacturer frozen ready meal process steps Help with Process Development for Dressings, Sauce, Dips Plant Is there any method available for Cold filled and Hold process parameters Looking for information on condensed milk process Microbial Validation your container, container closure, and headspace treatment process