What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Pistachio detecting machines

Started by , Nov 30 2010 12:05 PM
3 Replies
Dear Members,

does anyone have an idea, if there is a machine that can detect the nuts shells,and the wooden parts, and the bad pistachio ( external look is normal but black in the center)

i searched the net and found some machines can detect the shells and the wooden parts but none of them detect the bad nuts.

please advice,

Rabih
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Is there any limit for faecal streptococci in Pistachio Kernels? How to Decrease Microbiological Count in Raw Pistachio? Allergen assessment of treenut (almond & pistachio)
[Ad]
Not that I know of, however, where I'd start is what physical properties differ in these nuts? Are they lighter? Is the surface more textured? Is there any marking on the surface which could give it away? What causes the "bad" nuts?

Have a brainstorm with some of your colleagues; once you know all the info there might be a way of getting rid of them at source or briefing a machine manufacturer to do some work for you or adapt an existing machine.

For the wood and shell, you might try some kind of winnowing machine (ie blowing air up through the nuts) and sieves / grids.
There are various vision and laser sorters that might work if they can detect the difference between good and bad. I would think the costs would get fairly high if there are only small difference in weight, color, etc.

Here is a recent article.

http://www.foodprodu...s-smartly-Visys
Hi Rabih,

I work with x-ray supplier and we have supplied machines for inspection of pistachio in bulk flow. It removes stones and of course metals, glass etc. effectively.

You mention of bad pistachio for which "external look is normal but black in the center". I doubt any machine such as color sorter or others can reliably differentiate such bad nuts, especilly when it has to handle high volumes.

Similar Discussion Topics
Is there any limit for faecal streptococci in Pistachio Kernels? How to Decrease Microbiological Count in Raw Pistachio? Allergen assessment of treenut (almond & pistachio)