What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Why petri dishes should be placed upside down in the incubator?

Started by , Feb 19 2011 02:06 PM
3 Replies
Hi every one :

debate;

Technically and practically , in Food Microbiological testing , especially samples incubation step , the petri dishes should be placed inside the incubator in upside dowen , so do you know , why it shoul incubate in this situation , not normal ? what is the advantage if it is upside dowen ?

Thanks & Regards
Hygienic

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Frequency of External Calibration of Analytical Balance and Incubator Incubator CCP/OPRP BRC Clause 5.6.2.4 - analog incubator calibration Is it okay to do external calibration every two years for incubator & analytical balance? Does anyone use petri films for environmental monitoring?
[Ad]

Hi every one :

debate;

Technically and practically , in Food Microbiological testing , especially samples incubation step , the petri dishes should be placed inside the incubator in upside dowen , so do you know , why it shoul incubate in this situation , not normal ? what is the advantage if it is upside dowen ?

Thanks & Regards
Hygienic

If I remembered my texts correctly, I think it is to prevent the condensation from dripping onto the medium and contaminating it.
Yes hongyun.
You are totally correct. That is the one and only reason for keeping petri plates inverted.

Dave
i agreed with dave that petri plates are placed upside down in ordor to avoid the absorption of moisture (resulted due to condensation) if it is not done colonies may not be distinct and clear.
regard
raffay

Yes hongyun.
You are totally correct. That is the one and only reason for keeping petri plates inverted.

Dave

Similar Discussion Topics
Frequency of External Calibration of Analytical Balance and Incubator Incubator CCP/OPRP BRC Clause 5.6.2.4 - analog incubator calibration Is it okay to do external calibration every two years for incubator & analytical balance? Does anyone use petri films for environmental monitoring? Petri films - record the results in MPN/gram or CFU/gram? Incubator and in-house labs