• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 August 2023 - 02:23 AM

Hi,

May I know is there any specified intervals for external calibration (analytical balance & incubator) ? 

Can I do it every 2 years because I use it only 2 / 3 times per month and we do internal calibration every month.

thanks in advance!

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,233 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 09 August 2023 - 04:11 AM

Hi Fara,

Normally external calibration is carried out at a frequency based on a risk.

If the equipment/instrument is carrying out critical checks, such as for food safety, monitoring Critical Control Points or for product legality such as quantity/weight checks then an annual calibration may be required at a minimum.

You need to also consider your level of checks/monitoring, historical reliability and any manufacturer’s recommendations.

In your case, every 2 years may be acceptable if for example you check the balance with calibrated weights and the incubator temperature with a calibrated NPL thermometer and the calibration certificate you have doesn't have an expiry date.

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

Fara Dieba

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 August 2023 - 06:31 AM

Hi Fara,

Normally external calibration is carried out at a frequency based on a risk.

If the equipment/instrument is carrying out critical checks, such as for food safety, monitoring Critical Control Points or for product legality such as quantity/weight checks then an annual calibration may be required at a minimum.

You need to also consider your level of checks/monitoring, historical reliability and any manufacturer’s recommendations.

In your case, every 2 years may be acceptable if for example you check the balance with calibrated weights and the incubator temperature with a calibrated NPL thermometer and the calibration certificate you have doesn't have an expiry date.

Kind regards,

Tony

So it is acceptable if I use mercury thermometer(calibrated by 3rd party) and calibrate the laboratory incubator by myself? 

and I don't need to send my incubator to 3rd party for calibration right?

Edited by Fara Dieba, 09 August 2023 - 06:36 AM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 August 2023 - 10:50 AM

So it is acceptable if I use mercury thermometer(calibrated by 3rd party) and calibrate the laboratory incubator by myself? 

and I don't need to send my incubator to 3rd party for calibration right?

You will presumably also require an appropriate Procedure for calibrating the Incubator (eg temperature variations) and a thermometer externally calibrated at appropriate temperatures.

Why use a  mercury thermometer ? ( I daresay cheaper but I would have thought thermocouple more rapid responses and can be miniaturised/automated ).

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Fara Dieba

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 August 2023 - 09:31 AM

You will presumably also require an appropriate Procedure for calibrating the Incubator (eg temperature variations) and a thermometer externally calibrated at appropriate temperatures.

Why use a  mercury thermometer ? ( I daresay cheaper but I would have thought thermocouple more rapid responses and can be miniaturised/automated ).

Mercury thermometer act as master when i calibrate the other thermometer. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 August 2023 - 05:48 AM

Mercury thermometer act as master when i calibrate the other thermometer. 

Thanks, that makes sense.

Note that if incubator running at say nominally 36degC, you may require the master/sub-master to have a specific calibration at that value. (The subsequent practical usage  depends on how the external calibrator quantitates/presents their results).

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users