What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Reference database for hazard identification

Started by , Apr 19 2011 01:06 PM
19 Replies
Hello, i'm new in IFSQN, somebody know the Reference database for hazard identification of Canadian Food InspectionAgency. can i find it in the web?.
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Temperature a CCP - Ready to eat plant (Reference document for setting oven calibration frequency) Can anyone share the FDA reference that pathogen microbes kill at above 100 degree celcius? Reference Standards for Glass Bottle Manufacturing Reference Standards for Good Warehousing Practices in Food Manufacturing Management of Change Procedure and Reference
[Ad]
Hi
Most hazard id comes from the usfda Bad Bug Book but i guess it depends on the product.......I am the qmp of a canadian smoked fish plant and have had back luck finding a canadian one........ i use mostly the usa referance materials.........

Hello, i'm new in IFSQN, somebody know the Reference database for hazard identification of Canadian Food InspectionAgency. can i find it in the web?.

2 Thanks
I know what you are talking about, but can't seem to find it at the moment. I did find this on Canada's website (http://www.gov.mb.ca...r/cfs02s33.html)

"The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) developed a Reference Database for Hazard Identification that contains valuable reference information for food processors. A new version of database is currently under revision and will be available soon. For more information on the database contact the Manitoba CFIA office at 204-983-2200 in Winnipeg. "
1 Thank
Dear AKV,

A new version of database is currently under revision and will be available soon.

Thks for the input. Unfortunately if "soon" is similar to their "revisions" of most of the haccp plans on their site, can probably assume > never. For haccp, IMO they hv seriously diminished what was a very valuable resource.

Rgds / Charles.C
Hi!

Just want to ask if anybody know where i can find the reference of raw material hazard and specification for produce aquafeed such as soybean,fish meal, corn,wheat ,permitted additive to produce the feed. Need to do hazard analysis for raw material however the information not enough to conduct. Really blur!!
Thank for the help.
1 Thank

I found it http://www.klondikec...English2008.pdf

Dear Chamulin,

Many thks for this valuable link.

I hv previously seen a few other commodity based, haccp-oriented, hazard compilations compiled for various projects but these are usually not available for direct public access so this is a very useful contribution.

One comment is that the list of hazards given is in some cases only a generic categorisation, ie non-specific. Not too surprising given the scope of the content.

Some lists are also, not surprisingly, restricted to typical examples as compared to dedicated, more comprehensive text books with (partially) similar scope, eg volumes in the "Micro-organisms in Foods" series. Additionally, info. in cross-related items is sometimes rather inconsistent (For example, the biological hazards for the entry "Shellfish/..." has no reference to L. monocytogenes, S.aureus, or V.Cholerae which are frequently included in product specifications, however the first two are shown under "Marine and Freshwater Products.)

Despite the above limitations, it's an amazing compilation IMO.

Rgds / Charles.C

Did anybody every try to convert this great document with hazards into an excel or database type document linking the hazards to the materials, so expecially the first chapters of this book?

What other (public) sources of information do you use that can help with hazard identification?

Do you have a (public) reference source to give a severity classification for identifed hazards. Not the approach how to do this, but an actual quantitative classification. So for instance hazard is Listeria, severity is 5 (on a scale 1-5)  (before mitigation).

Did anybody every try to convert this great document with hazards into an excel or database type document linking the hazards to the materials, so expecially the first chapters of this book?

What other (public) sources of information do you use that can help with hazard identification?

Do you have a (public) reference source to give a severity classification for identifed hazards. Not the approach how to do this, but an actual quantitative classification. So for instance hazard is Listeria, severity is 5 (on a scale 1-5)  (before mitigation).

Dear fsqnnow,

Indeed, for the scope shown, the Canadian document is rather rare in the public domain.

Yr first question – so far afaik nobody on this forum has reported doing so. Does not rule the possibility out however as time will hopefully soon reveal. :smile:

Yr second question -  Do you mean  compilations of hazards associated with (a) raw materials or (b) processes ? or both ?  Or carrying out hazard analyses such as required by haccp ?

Voluminous data for (a) exists in various books, eg the microorganisms in foods series and some reviews in journals / trade organization / other govt. sponsored projects. Similarly for (b) eg Mortimore/Wallace’s best-selling haccp.  But the majority are not freely accessible online other than by, for example, Google Books limited preview documents.

Yr third question – afaik, no quantitative classification exists except in the context of QMRAs which is a rather different procedure. All the matrix type semi-quantitative formats I hv seen are, essentially, qualitatively subjective.

Rgds / Charles.C

Does anyone know of a database that list biological hazards for food ingredients?

This from the FDA

Marshall

Hi Marshall,

Thanks for the file. Rather impressive at first sight.

the title implies "final" (Aug.2016) but the file itself states "draft". (I noticed the file seems unaware of B.cereus as a potential hazard in the Baking Industry).

Is it "final" ? (or perhaps the "final" is referring to the FSMA parent ?)

Charles,

This is an appendix to the "Draft Guidance" FDA issued for FSMA back in August.

It is still "draft" as far as I can tell.

Marshall

1 Thank

Here is the Canadian reference hazard database link

http://www.inspectio...9/1384900941583

Should have added, it will take you to a CFIA page, where you can download the excel formatted data base

Scampi,

I'm not finding a link to the Excel DB

Can you point the way?

Marshall

Scampi,

I'm not finding a link to the Excel DB

Can you point the way?

Marshall

Hi Marshall,

I assumed it was the first link at top but after plodding thru various sub-menus I gave up.

Scampi will correct me if there is a direct route. :smile:

I see they have removed the link to the DB

Simon, I'm not having any luck attaching a document at all....i've tried both options

Hazard Database.xlsx   124.15KB   64 downloads

Attached Files

1 Thank

Never mind Simon....there it is! Hello Monday :oops2:

Something to add to this thread, I was just made aware of this database: https://www.hazardfinder.net/#/hazards

Free, but seems to have some strange hazard assessments for some products/processes, and is obviously very risk averse.

Still, a good starting point if you can get it to show you appropriate results for your ingredients/processes.

Similar Discussion Topics
Temperature a CCP - Ready to eat plant (Reference document for setting oven calibration frequency) Can anyone share the FDA reference that pathogen microbes kill at above 100 degree celcius? Reference Standards for Glass Bottle Manufacturing Reference Standards for Good Warehousing Practices in Food Manufacturing Management of Change Procedure and Reference CFR reference for labeling of water in a fruit preparation Risk Reference list in BRCGS Issue 9 Dairy Reference Standard for Filling-Packing Room Reference for sampling plan Cross reference between BRC Packaging issue 6 and ISO 9001:2015