• Quick Navigation
Photo

Lactose as milk allergen- FDA reference?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

PGabarra

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 February 2022 - 02:53 PM

Hi all, I understand that lactose is considered a milk allergen, being that it is derived from it, by Codex.  In many EU and US, Canada lists lactose is part of the milk derivatives list, to make that point.  Does anyone know where-o-where the FDA lists lactose as milk allergen in this context?  I have found all other references expect for an FDA one.  Thanks in advance!

smgendel

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 12 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 February 2022 - 03:18 PM

I am afraid that this is a common misconception - lactose is not a major food allergen in the US.  Milk is an allergen, as defined by the Food Allergen Labeling and Protection Act.  Ingredients derived from milk that include milk proteins are considered to be "milk" for the purposes of allergen labeling and control.  Purified lactose that is protein-free is not an allergen by this standard.  Companies that opt to label it as an allergen are probably concerned that their ingredient is not pure; that it contains milk protein.  

It is important to realize that lactose itself is a problem for many people with lactose sensitivity.  However, that is a different issue.  

Thanked by 1 Member:

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,070 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 07 February 2022 - 04:53 PM

The best source of information in the US on food allergens for the food industry other than the FDA website- https://farrp.unl.edu/

Pretty good about answering questions as well. Inspector's consider this a trusted source. 

Edited by kfromNE, 07 February 2022 - 04:55 PM.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,498 posts
  • 1514 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 February 2022 - 06:03 PM

And there is this article from May of 2021

As of now, the FDA has not established thresholds for any major food allergen. However, this does not mean that we do not consider information related to allergen thresholds in our regulatory work. For example, the FDA may consider allergen threshold data in assessing the safety of ingredients exempted from FALCPA allergen labeling requirements. We continue to monitor and evaluate new science that has emerged in the past decade on population threshold dose response to a variety of food allergens.

https://www.fda.gov/...ergen-landscape

And this

https://www.sheetlab...e-free-products

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users