What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Potential Project Topic - Meat Colour

Started by , Jun 27 2011 06:24 PM
10 Replies
Hi All.

Hope you're all well.

I am working on my penultimate module before my MSc research dissertation. I want to do my MSc on something micro-related, so therefore for this module I need to choose a different topic.

I am about to start researching for a literature review and I was thinking along the lines of meat colour and effects that different environments have on the colour, also a bit on consumer perception of fresh meat with regards to colour.

Do you think this is feasible? Or do any meat people have any suggestions on other slants I could take?

Any advice would be very much appreciated as I don't currently know very much on this subject.

Many thanks in advance

Pops
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Haddock Fish - orange/pink in colour - potential causes? How to deal with a potential new hire with a broken foot? Potential Metal Contamination HACCP Plan - Potential Customer Misuse Can someone identify this potential wheat fungus?
[Ad]

Hi All.

Hope you're all well.

I am working on my penultimate module before my MSc research dissertation. I want to do my MSc on something micro-related, so therefore for this module I need to choose a different topic.

I am about to start researching for a literature review and I was thinking along the lines of meat colour and effects that different environments have on the colour, also a bit on consumer perception of fresh meat with regards to colour.

Do you think this is feasible? Or do any meat people have any suggestions on other slants I could take?

Any advice would be very much appreciated as I don't currently know very much on this subject.

Many thanks in advance

Pops

No-one? Ok, maybe it is a rubbish topic afterall.

What else can I do? Anything interesting on cheese that anyone can think of???
Dear poppy,

You sort of omitted to comment on what were the kind of criteria controlling yr choice of topic ??

It's surely not totally open-ended ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Dear poppy,

You sort of omitted to comment on what were the kind of criteria controlling yr choice of topic ??

It's surely not totally open-ended ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Sorry! I'm doing a MSc in Food Science. Units completed have covered food micro and chemistry, dairy science, meat science, nutrition etc. We have to choose a topic on any of these areas and write a 5000 word literature review.

Pops

Sorry! I'm doing a MSc in Food Science. Units completed have covered food micro and chemistry, dairy science, meat science, nutrition etc. We have to choose a topic on any of these areas and write a 5000 word literature review.

Pops

I'm doing my MSc thesis too... just starting on my literature review research.

I think your topic would work. How are u conducting your research? (survey and lab testing?)
And where are you doing your research? (school/employer?)

I'm doing my MSc thesis too... just starting on my literature review research.

I think your topic would work. How are u conducting your research? (survey and lab testing?)
And where are you doing your research? (school/employer?)

Hi there.

I'm on my last two modules before I start my thesis. Still not fully decided on Project topic as above, as finishing business module and also have a lot on at work just now. Almost finished final assignment, which I will submit this weekend and then start looking into this again.

I'd like to do survey and lab testing as part of my research.

Where are you studying?
Sorry, I missed this thread. Meat colour could be an interesting one. There are probably micro / spoilage reasons for meat browning (especially beef) but also some level of ageing is useful for tenderness and flavour. I know beef packers tend to pack with high oxygen MAP to oxygenate the blood of the muscle to make it look more read so that would suggest there is a consumer perception that red = fresh.

I suppose you could do a whole project on beef including doing some research on consumer perception, talking to mfrs about their MAP processes, seeing a factory if possible and talking through their organoleptic checks. Look at what causes browning towards the end of life; perhaps coming to some conclusions on whether the consumer perception for wanting red looking meat but also wanting it aged is or isn't realistic???
1 Thank
Hi Poppysnoss,

I agree with what GMO has suggested as I would have recommended the same. One could look at Modified Atmosphere packaging at various levels of Oxygen, Nitrogen and carbon-dioxide. I also remember packers removing the oxygen in the system to prolong the shelf life of meats and by doing so the Iron in the meat was in a reduced state of Fe2+ and the meat looked brown, however on opening the pack the meat turned red as the oxygen from the atmosphere was taken up by the Fe2+ in the reduced state to Fe3+ in the oxidized state.

You could also look at the shelf life of meats at various levels of gas ratios. i hope all this helps.

Cheers
1 Thank
Thank you to both GMO and Ajay for your really helpful comments. I am hoping to push on with this project within the next week or so and they have both really given me food for thought.

Very much appreciated...!!
Dear Poppy,

Certainly no shortage of accessible information / permutations ! Probably a few theses here and there also.

e1 - meat-technology-update-06-5.pdf   292.92KB   3 downloads
e2 A very brief commercial viewpoint - Quality of meat - Hyfoma.pdf   94.72KB   4 downloads
e3 - Science of Meat_ What Gives Meat Its colour.pdf   243.86KB   3 downloads
e4 - Meat Science_ Frequently Asked questions.pdf   108.24KB   3 downloads
e5 - A SUMMARY OF RESEARCH INFORMATION ON COOKED MEAT COLOUR.pdf   35.29KB   3 downloads

Rgds / Charles.C
1 Thank
Thank you for these attachment, Charles. They look really useful.

Very much appreciated!

Similar Discussion Topics
Haddock Fish - orange/pink in colour - potential causes? How to deal with a potential new hire with a broken foot? Potential Metal Contamination HACCP Plan - Potential Customer Misuse Can someone identify this potential wheat fungus? Potential issues with repacking Roasted Red Peppers Potential risks of repacking cheese in ambient Help! Potential help from industry for week assignment Risk assessing string as a potential foreign body implementation and controls. Potential hazards from compressed air during sachetting