What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Recall due to incorrect labelling reported to FSA - Implications?

Started by , May 16 2013 02:40 PM
3 Replies

Just looking for some help

I work for a small independant printers and we sent labels for chocolate bars out without the ingredients printed on it by mistake. the customer has recalled the product and has reportded the issue to the FSA. I wondered what this means to my company. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help as I am new to the site

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Quaker Recall BRCGS Clause 3.11.3 - Incident management test must include a recall test? Trader Joe’s dumplings recall due to possible contamination with hard plastic from a permanent marker SQF regulatory recall How to maintain a receiving and production system for recall?
[Ad]

Just looking for some help

I work for a small independant printers and we sent labels for chocolate bars out without the ingredients printed on it by mistake. the customer has recalled the product and has reportded the issue to the FSA. I wondered what this means to my company. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help as I am new to the site

Hi Gwenk

Chances are, that all costs will be passed onto you, as it would be seen as your (companys) mistake. Someone at your company should have checked the first printed off reel / label to validate / verify that it was correct before printing thousands. Do you retain samples of each print run? First thing to do is to check against that, and to ask for affected unused labels back with your traceability details on, incase labels are from a dual supply.It is standard procedure to inform the FSA. This would be seen as an allergen recall. You're corrective action would be to ensure that there is a check procedure (say hourly) to ensure all labels are correct. If the artwork has been signed off by the customer and there is no ingredient decleraion on there, then you could argue that they are responsible.

Just as aside, the fines from the retailers are phenomenal. we're talking tens of thousands.and thats not including costs for replacing the affected goods, and destroying what's out there.

You could argue as to what intake checks are carried out, and why wasn't it picked up when the day code was ink jetted and then verified.

Welcome to the forums, lets hope the next post is of a nicer (for you) nature

Caz x

Sorry, you can also check the FSA website to see all recalls

http://www.food.gov....s/allergy-news/

Believe it or not, we've almost gone a week without a recall!

I cannot believe that your customer allowed the product to be produced and shipped with labels not containing ingredient declarations (do they have all of the other necessary regulated requirements?). To me not only is it an issue of lack of label approval from the chocolate manufacturer but also lack of label control which is a fundamental requirement in any food safety program of all food processors. Just my opinion...

Similar Discussion Topics
Quaker Recall BRCGS Clause 3.11.3 - Incident management test must include a recall test? Trader Joe’s dumplings recall due to possible contamination with hard plastic from a permanent marker SQF regulatory recall How to maintain a receiving and production system for recall? Mock Recall Exercise: Determining Recall Classification (Metal Contamination) SQF- Recall/Traceability - Time of Completion Can we use Mock Recall information for a Traceability Exercise Risk assessment to determine if recall necessary Customer requesting information for mock recall