What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Pasteurization Questions related to bottled foods

Started by , Aug 06 2013 08:43 PM
5 Replies

Hello,

I am currently working on a new product process. We are looking to use a pasteurization for bottled foods such as capers, sundried tomatoes, olives, banana peppers, etc. I am wondering what the time and temp would be for food like this. I know milk has a certain time and temperature to kill microorganisms but what would it be for products like this. Also would you suggest doing the food as a hot fill?

Thank you

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Is pasteurization always a CCP? Changing from Hot Fill to Tunnel Pasteurization Pasteurization Procedure for Tom Yum Paste Pasteurization values equivalent to sterillization at 121oC for 3 mins CCP Validation - Pasteurization temperature
[Ad]

i think it would be better to do validation tests, based on the literature you have and may find it on the internet.

Are you looking to pasteurize or sterilize?

Caz x

Lazlo:

Are you looking to just pasteurize (remove pathogens) or increase shelf-life (prevent spoilage)?

In milk it is recommended to increase 3'C to the pasteurization temperature in products higher than 10% fat, a similar approach can be taken for solids.

Are they a dry or wet product?

1 Like1 Thank

Hello,

I am looking to both pasteurize and increase shelf life. I am working with olives and preserved lemons with a brine fill. What do you suggest?

Thank you

Hot filling may assist in extending shelf life but it seems it should be in combination with some other method of preservation (brine? oil?) to ensure product safety.

Regards,

Tony

Similar Discussion Topics
Is pasteurization always a CCP? Changing from Hot Fill to Tunnel Pasteurization Pasteurization Procedure for Tom Yum Paste Pasteurization values equivalent to sterillization at 121oC for 3 mins CCP Validation - Pasteurization temperature Is cool storage of fruits and vegetables before Pasteurization a CCP? Hot Fill vs. Tunnel Pasteurization Pasteurization parameters for non-dairy whipping cream Validation of pasteurization in vegetable soups Pasteurization Validation of non-dairy products