Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 August 2023 - 02:42 PM

pasteurization validation is usually a white paper stating that the process is capable of a 5 log reduction.   these are a pretty easy to find for milk and dairy products.  this along with the calibration data for time and temp are usually sufficient.   

what are you controlling with filtration?  FM im guessing?

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

PQAManager

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 114 posts
  • 27 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 August 2023 - 06:22 PM

Depends on your filtration system.  We use screens and this is our validation:

From 1972 through 1997, the FDA Health Hazard Evaluation Board
evaluated approximately 190 cases of hard or sharp foreign objects in food. These include cases of both injury and non-injury reported to FDA. The Board found that foreign objects that are less than 7 mm, maximum dimension, rarely cause trauma or serious injury except in special risk groups such as infants, surgery patients, and the elderly.

CPG Sec. 555.425 Foods, Adulteration Involving hard or ...

https://www.fda.gov › media › download

PDF

MagaZ

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Cuba
    Cuba

Posted 11 August 2023 - 04:28 PM

If you refers to Microfiltration for microbiological contaminants , you can considers this points:

1. Do integrity test for the relevant cartridge filters (individual or together).
  2. Operate the cartridge filtration as per supplier recommended (Technical data sheet) differential pressure and record.
  3. Operate and record flow rate as per supplier recommendation (Technical data sheet).
  4. Do a series of microbial analysis for the specific hazard and indicative organisms, in raw water, before and after the cartridge filteration unit.
  5. Verify the hazards in the finished product as well.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 August 2023 - 05:12 AM

What can be considered as a validation for following CCPs

1. Pasteurization 

2. Filteration 

Thanks

Hi Harismad,

IMO it's impossible to meaningfully answer yr query without more Product/Process information. Please provide.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Harismad

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 12 August 2023 - 06:24 AM

Hi Harismad,

IMO it's impossible to meaningfully answer yr query without more Product/Process information. Please provide.

Hi,

I have a pasteuriser that pasteurises milk (recombied cheese milk with aprox 35% solids). My CCP is pasteurization temperature. In the same line, I have an inline filter which is my OPRP. My question is what can I consider as a validation for my pasteurisation CCP (temp/time) and also for filter size. Does it need to be a formal document in our quality manual stating the CCP/OPRP has been validated based on ''xyz'' or something similar to the FDA study on foriegn object quoted by PQA Manager above would meet the requirement. Both my questions are based on BRCGS standards.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 August 2023 - 12:29 PM

Hi,

I have a pasteuriser that pasteurises milk (recombied cheese milk with aprox 35% solids). My CCP is pasteurization temperature. In the same line, I have an inline filter which is my OPRP. My question is what can I consider as a validation for my pasteurisation CCP (temp/time) and also for filter size. Does it need to be a formal document in our quality manual stating the CCP/OPRP has been validated based on ''xyz'' or something similar to the FDA study on foriegn object quoted by PQA Manager above would meet the requirement. Both my questions are based on BRCGS standards.

HI Harismad,

Thks for clarification.

I think yr Your CCP query is basically related to BRC's HACCP requirements (Standard's Section 2).

For BRC/HACCP CCP validation you typically need to demonstrate theoretically and operationally  that your T/t values (Critical Limits) achieve a satisfactory reduction of the selected targetted species. IMEX (not milk) the relevant Degree of reduction is usually referenced in Local Regulatory documents which I anticipate is also the case in India.

Afaik BRC's HACCP is based on Codex. Codex (2020) HACCP makes no formal use or mention of the terminology OPRP (unlike ISO22000) and it is not mentioned in the BRC Food Standard, So, as per my understanding, a given Process Step is either HACCP associated with a CCP or it has no specific Codex HACCP-related requirements. I believe that some people do introduce "OPRPs" into their HACCP Plan for  BRC but I am unaware of the reason.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Harismad

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 12 August 2023 - 01:37 PM

HI Harismad,

Thks for clarification.

I think yr Your CCP query is basically related to BRC's HACCP requirements (Standard's Section 2).

For BRC/HACCP CCP validation you typically need to demonstrate theoretically and operationally  that your T/t values (Critical Limits) achieve a satisfactory reduction of the selected targetted species. IMEX (not milk) the relevant Degree of reduction is usually referenced in Local Regulatory documents which I anticipate is also the case in India.

Afaik BRC's HACCP is based on Codex. Codex (2020) HACCP makes no formal use or mention of the terminology OPRP (unlike ISO22000) and it is not mentioned in the BRC Food Standard, So, as per my understanding, a given Process Step is either HACCP associated with a CCP or it has no specific Codex HACCP-related requirements. I believe that some people do introduce "OPRPs" into their HACCP Plan for  BRC but I am unaware of the reason.

Thanks for your reply. What should be the validation of a filter (for FM) if that's a CCP?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 August 2023 - 06:31 AM

Thanks for your reply. What should be the validation of a filter (for FM) if that's a CCP?

Hi Harismad,

The designation of Critical Limit  is a contentious topic and has produced a number of threads on this Forum. I suggest you read through thread below which discusses most of the options from both theoretical/practical viewpoints -

https://www.ifsqn.co...on/#entry151498 -

Another short discussion utilising measured data is summarised here  -

https://www.ifsqn.co...ss/#entry156265

JFI here is a concise, published validation study of a CCP/Filter - 

Attached File  Liquid Filter as CCP.pdf   126.82KB   50 downloads

The choice of option likely relates to the specific Process.

PS and, JFI, one more -

Attached File  HACCP Plan-Filtration.PNG   107KB   1 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users