What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Is Internal Auditor Training required by SQF?

Started by , Oct 10 2013 05:09 PM
11 Replies

New Member here trying to find out if internal auditor training is required by SQF

I know that training requirements are brutal per the code; but curious if outside training is necessary or required for internal auditing.   

Thanks

Paul

1 Thank
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Does anyone have video or any kind of slideshow they use for GMP training? HACCP Training for Flexible Packaging Industry Over lenient NSF auditor Elevating Performance: Achieving Continuous Improvement through Internal Auditing Practices ABC model to assess effectiveness of training and communication in a company
[Ad]

From the guidance:

For internal audits to be effective, staff conducting internal audits must be trained in internal auditing techniques,

information gathering and objective observation. This training need not be “formal” training provided by an

external source. Internal auditor training covers internal audit procedures, including the planning and scheduling

of internal audits, preparing internal audit reports and initiating and following up on audit findings. Internal audits

should combine several information gathering techniques, including interview of personnel, review of records and

observation of current conditions.

Similar thread:

http://www.ifsqn.com...ning#entry52255

1 Thank

New Member here trying to find out if internal auditor training is required by SQF

I know that training requirements are brutal per the code; but curious if outside training is necessary or required for internal auditing.   

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

:welcome:

SQF Code 2.5.7.2 requirement: Staff conducting internal audits shall be trained in internal audit procedures.

Lee has covered off the question regarding external training. If you carry out internally, it will need to be done by suitably qualified staff - from the Guidance: 2.9 Training: Training may be completed on the job by qualified technical staff or externally by recognized institutions.

Regards,

Tony

Thanks to all for great answers.    I was curious what the answer would be and the code reads like "stereo instructions"

Appreciate the help

Going to resurrect this one. 

I was previously trained in internal auditing for ISO and we are going for SQF Level 2. I do not have my certificate from my ISO training. Has anyone ever had an auditor ask for the proof/documentation of the training? I can try to get a copy from my old position but am unsure if I'll be able to do so. 

Thanks for your help!

I was previously trained in internal auditing for ISO and we are going for SQF Level 2. I do not have my certificate from my ISO training. Has anyone ever had an auditor ask for the proof/documentation of the training? I can try to get a copy from my old position but am unsure if I'll be able to do so. 

Thanks for your help!

I got asked this one.  I had been trained in internal audit for ISO 22000/PAS 220 and 9000:2001 a few years ago, but I did not have a certificate.  I justified it with industry experience in auditing, being audited. 

Auditor A said this was cool.

Auditor B said I had to have a certificate.  I did point out that the SQF standard guidance specifically stated it need not be formal.  On that specific point I believe the auditor was wrong.  Even so, I really only had statements in my program *that I wrote* stating all this wonderful experience and training I had, but I did not have any records from my old jobs to objectively corroborate my statements.  I got a deserved minor and did not fight the training certificate issue.

I can't fault either auditor on this, but I have to lean toward Auditor B on this one.

Thanks for your help!

I have been asked for copies of certificates for all of my 'claimed' qualifications during audits. I could throw in the experience card but it is easier just to produce copies as requested and objective evidence. Once you get into evidence regarding experience and capability the auditor can view this as subjective and accordingly base their own judgment on it.

Regards,

Tony

Internal Auditor Training is a requirement and can be done either by having a training provider come on-site, internally trained by your own experienced employees or by software such as we have for our clients.

You must "prove" training completion for everyone involved on internal audits.

For instance we review the tests and issue certificates and it is the certificate that proves training or if in house you'll need to have records on who, what, when, where etc to prove it.

General internal audit training is fine as you don't need to take an SQF specific course.

Glenn Oster

Internal Auditor Training is a requirement and can be done either by having a training provider come on-site, internally trained by your own experienced employees or by software such as we have for our clients.

You must "prove" training completion for everyone involved on internal audits.

For instance we review the tests and issue certificates and it is the certificate that proves training or if in house you'll need to have records on who, what, when, where etc to prove it.

General internal audit training is fine as you don't need to take an SQF specific course.

Glenn Oster

Wondering from your answer if taking Implementing SQF course includes internal auditing training and receiving the certificate for the SQF course would cover internal auditing?  

"Wondering from your answer if taking Implementing SQF course includes internal auditing training and receiving the certificate for the SQF course would cover internal auditing? "

Hit and miss.  I've seen audit reports in which this was accepted.  I've seen audit reports where it was a minor.

1 Thank

Thanks for the quick reply.  Guess I am better off getting training to cover my butt.   thanks again

I got a minor for not having formal training. I would have liked to fight it but there's only so much you can argue about. I found an online course that sucked up two days' office time and taught me nothing, but at least I got a certificate. I can now justify training others in the internal auditing process, too. I feel SQF spends far too much time on formal training, but it's their prerogative, I suppose.

Similar Discussion Topics
Does anyone have video or any kind of slideshow they use for GMP training? HACCP Training for Flexible Packaging Industry Over lenient NSF auditor Elevating Performance: Achieving Continuous Improvement through Internal Auditing Practices ABC model to assess effectiveness of training and communication in a company Effective evaluation methods of food safety training BRC Internal Auditing Query PCQI Training in Portuguese Is wearing of steel toe shoes required on the plant floor? FSSC V6 Internal audit Checklist