What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Staph aureus on Hair

Started by , Feb 15 2014 06:09 PM
4 Replies

Hi all,

during an audit I have performed recently at a raw material suppliers site the quality manager (a vetenarian) told me that in hygiene training he is telling that pathogenic Staph aureus is widespread on hairs (every third ??!!). He remembers that he has taken the information from literature some years ago, but unfortunately he could not find them. My search was also withut success.

We could reduce complaints of hairs found in our products (bakery), but there are still several we are obvious not able to eleminate even we have introduced several measures. 

In my risk assessment today I have not focussed on Staph aureus in the case of hair contamination. Now I am trying to verify the aove mentioned information. Can somebody assist? Tanks in advance.

Rgds

moskito

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Staph. aureus contamination in Canned Tuna Staph detect infant formula, what action should we take? Positive results for staph aureus on hands Can Viable Staph cells cause illness? Staph aureus growth on jerky
[Ad]

Hello Moskito,

I found these:

not really scientific, but found on site of FSA: http://archive.food....lish/part4.html

In the FDA Bad bug Book issue 2, 2012, I found this passage on Staph. Aureus on hairs. You can download the book for free.

...Staphylococci are present in the nasal passages and throats and on the hair and skin of 50% or more of healthy individuals. The incidence is even higher among those who associate with sick people and hospital environments. Contamination may be introduced into foods by direct contact with workers with hand or arm lesions caused by S. aureus, or by coughing and sneezing, which is common during respiratory infections. Food handlers are frequently the source of food contamination in staphylococcal outbreaks...

Moskito

I haven't heard it been addressed like that before, but if it's 1in3, it might as well be all three. I dug up some micro info (K-State, FDSCI 307, Applied Microbiology in Meat/Poultry).

Attached Files

1 Thank

We can say for sure it has been isolated from human skin and the prevalence is high in the general population. The following data sheet contains some good information on this pathogen. Does not specifically state hair as a source. However it is certain that skin from the scalp would be a source and therefore hair would need to be included. 

George

Attached Files

2 Thanks

Thanks for your infomations/recommendations.  :spoton:

Rgds

moskito

Similar Discussion Topics
Staph. aureus contamination in Canned Tuna Staph detect infant formula, what action should we take? Positive results for staph aureus on hands Can Viable Staph cells cause illness? Staph aureus growth on jerky