What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Mould testing on Beef cuts

Started by , Apr 16 2014 12:38 PM
2 Replies

Hi all,

We are dry ageing our beef and a wide varience of moulds have appeared.

Obviously all external sides of the joints are removed before the products are sent out. can anyone explain how we could go about testing these moulds or what to test for? we use a UKAS accredited lab but i wouldnt know what im testing for and what we should be looking out for on the results.

Thanks!!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
How to state Air / Yeast & Mould count ? Yeast and Mould Monitoring Control measures for preventing mould in jam Yeast and Mould Testing and Limit Requirements Is Yeast and Mould good enough for Ambient Air Testing?
[Ad]

I was really disappointed no one answered this one....am not a meat expert but was interested in the answer. 

Hi,

Firstly...what colour is the mould? White, green, black? This is important!

Certain kinds of mould are not going to be too much of an issue but i would suggest a full wash / clean down of all rooms used for your dry aging as you will have spores everywhere. Do you use positive air flow control?

Get the lab to do a standard test (plate count) for moulds/yeasts - you will need to find out your local specs on what is considered safe etc.

Also - what are you currently doing with the mouldy product? Is it getting used and if so is it affecting your shelf life?

Similar Discussion Topics
How to state Air / Yeast & Mould count ? Yeast and Mould Monitoring Control measures for preventing mould in jam Yeast and Mould Testing and Limit Requirements Is Yeast and Mould good enough for Ambient Air Testing? Mould testing Mould Identification following out of spec test result Can copper metal be used as mould in cake preparation? Yeast and Mould in Fresh Produce Is a high Yeast and Mould Count a quality or food safety issue?