What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Heavy Metals-US vs. EU

Started by , Apr 16 2014 09:20 PM
3 Replies

In the US we test for soluble heavy metals.  In the EU they test for total.  Am curious if anyone knows the scientific reasoning behind this. 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Mycotoxin and heavy metal limits in frozen fruits and vegetables as per EU regulations Heavy Metals Testing Unit Conversion Testing Peppers and Onions for Heavy Metals and Pesticides United States Heavy Metal limits in Food Canadian and US maximum permissible level of heavy metals in fish
[Ad]

Hi, Snookie;

Are you sure that both methods are not employed?  It would seem that soluble tests are more stringent given that ingestion is the usual mode of toxicity.  

Not sure if you have seen this attachment or not, and I haven't invested the time to offer a conclusion from it.  However it is an interesting question, and one that I will add to a list of questions for our lab.

Heavy Metals Intertek.pdf   565.9KB   30 downloads  

1 Thank

Definitely different methods being employed. 

Hi, Snookie;

Are you sure that both methods are not employed?  It would seem that soluble tests are more stringent given that ingestion is the usual mode of toxicity.  

Not sure if you have seen this attachment or not, and I haven't invested the time to offer a conclusion from it.  However it is an interesting question, and one that I will add to a list of questions for our lab.

Heavy Metals Intertek.pdf  

I would think the soluble test would be the most relevant as if it is soluble then then it can be ingested.   Total does not seem as relevant as while the metal is there it is not necessarily leaching and therefore because it is packaging is not relevant.      To me this is like free and total chlorine.....you may have 100 ppm of chlorine, but only 5 ppm is available.  Or is there an error in my logic?

Similar Discussion Topics
Mycotoxin and heavy metal limits in frozen fruits and vegetables as per EU regulations Heavy Metals Testing Unit Conversion Testing Peppers and Onions for Heavy Metals and Pesticides United States Heavy Metal limits in Food Canadian and US maximum permissible level of heavy metals in fish Control measures for heavy metals and pesticides in the reception of olives Annual analysis of heavy metal and pesticide for Thailand market SQF 2.3.2.9 - Heavy Metals and Pesticides Heavy metal testing in-house? Heavy metal and pesticide MRL