What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Cannot determine a preventive measure

Started by , Jun 05 2014 02:24 PM
7 Replies

Failure was:

Shaft broke in an AC unit above product.  Corrective actions were taken and documented.  Root cause analysis was performed and it was determined that the shaft broke in the AC unit.  This has only happened once before in 10 years, so I don't feel we can say it needs to be on a PM schedule.  Any thoughts on what a true PM would be for something like this?

Thanks!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Questions used to determine the critical control point Supply Chain Preventive Controls Risk assessment to determine frequency of ATP swabbing How to determine tolerance Control measure and control points
[Ad]
Could the A/C unit be moved so it isn't directly above the product?
Could the line or product be moved to not be directly under the A/C unit?
Could unit be connected to a drain the diverts the water away from product area?

Most likely your AC is already on a PM program....a shaft breaking is (from my understanding) not usually something that can be spotted or prevented.   If any damaged or contaminated product was captured, then think your system is working.  Sometimes s*%t happens, we clean it up and move on.  :headhurts:

Dear Brian,

I would (slightly) question yr root cause analysis as stated.

The point is - why did it break ? The one in my house broke because the "engineer" who cleaned it put it back un-horizontal which I informed him at the time but was ignored.

AFAIK, there is no stipulated replacement schedule for such items, presumably they don't break.

So It could just be a random metal fatigue, ie no specific root cause.

However assuming that the unit you mention is occasionally cleaned, one could hope that (in future?) the operative might fill in a form to note that no obvious cracks etc were visible if such not currently carried out. Auditor's like to see "evidence" of action.

Rgds / Charles.C

When in doubt with a PM schedule, consult your OEM's.

I'm sure the manufacturer has a recommended service schedule.

Hi! I think PM may be installing AC unit away from the products.  :smile:

Failure was:

Shaft broke in an AC unit above product.  Corrective actions were taken and documented.  Root cause analysis was performed and it was determined that the shaft broke in the AC unit.  This has only happened once before in 10 years, so I don't feel we can say it needs to be on a PM schedule.  Any thoughts on what a true PM would be for something like this?

Thanks!

Hi Brian,

I don't really understand your root cause analysis?

A PM may be periodic inspections.

Regards,

Tony

I would have thought periodic inspections too, after risk assessment of course  :giggle:

Similar Discussion Topics
Questions used to determine the critical control point Supply Chain Preventive Controls Risk assessment to determine frequency of ATP swabbing How to determine tolerance Control measure and control points How to quantitatively determine when a beard net must be worn? SQF Addendum - FDA Preventive Controls Audit Checklist Difference between correction, corrective action and preventive action? How do you determine parameters and what type of testing needs to be completed by a lab for your finished product? FSMA- Preventive Controls- Practical example of hazard analysis?