• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to quantitatively determine when a beard net must be worn?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Padfoot

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 97 posts
  • 6 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 November 2023 - 04:53 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am doing an annual review on our GMP program. Our current program states that if a mustache is long enough to hang from the side of the mouth, a beard net must be worn. beards are acceptable until they reach 2 days of no shaving, but everyone grows hair at different lengths, making it hard to control. I am considering the length of eyelashes and eyebrows an an acceptable length with no risk (1cm), and wanting to switch our acceptable length to the same size (1cm). What are your thoughts? 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 01 November 2023 - 05:05 PM

Your new procedure OR clean shave or beard net

Who's responsible for measuring?  Much easier on you and your team to make it clear and simple

Clean shaven = no beard net

Anything else, including stubble = beard net

If you don't lock it down, they will push back-----hard

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 363 posts
  • 115 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 01 November 2023 - 06:17 PM

I agree with scampi, if you're anything less than clean shaven you need to wear a beard net. It's impossible to regulate all the different kinds of beards or stubble someone can have, and every operator is going to be trying to capitalize on the grey area in your standard.

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 November 2023 - 06:22 PM

I'm not interested in monitoring beard length down to the mm.  Saying only growth over 1cm requires a beard net opens the door to someone arguing their facial hair is only 9mm that day, and that ain't a fight I'm having.  I've always written GMPs to require beard nets when any facial hair growth is visible: if I can see your stubble, you need a beard net.  Of course, this practice left me open to an auditor trying to get me in a gotcha type moment, "What will you do when a female with a bit of hair on her lip comes to your facility?"  Told the auditor I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, but I'm not bashful about enforcing GMP's.

Of course the FDA and SQF are a bit vague on the topic.  FDA states beard nets "where appropriate" in CFR 21 A 110.10, and SQF says beard covers "where applicable".  Short story is if you've got an employee with a full beard that's trimmed to .5cm walking around without a beard cover, you're taking a hit from either party during an inspection.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,676 posts
  • 1143 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 01 November 2023 - 06:45 PM

When you started talking about measuring I immediately thought of my days in hotel inspections - we had a Red Roof inspector join us and he said he was required to measure blades of grass and how the problem was that not all blades were the same - anyway, I agree fully with Scampi.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 November 2023 - 08:53 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am doing an annual review on our GMP program. Our current program states that if a mustache is long enough to hang from the side of the mouth, a beard net must be worn. beards are acceptable until they reach 2 days of no shaving, but everyone grows hair at different lengths, making it hard to control. I am considering the length of eyelashes and eyebrows an an acceptable length with no risk (1cm), and wanting to switch our acceptable length to the same size (1cm). What are your thoughts? 

As others have said, if you aren't going to measure it don't set a measurement as the limit. 

There are things beyond facial hair this principle will apply to as well.  Some inspectors will expect to see records of measurement for whatever you quote a number for.

MOHAMMED ZAMEERUDDIN

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 276 posts
  • 59 thanks
Excellent

• India
    India
  • Interests:Sharing the Knowledge

Posted 02 November 2023 - 05:38 AM

Measuring the length of hair is a very tedious approach. GMP should be implemented and all the food handlers should cover hairs completely. Hairs and ears must be fully enclosed by the hairnets. Beard nets shall be worn to cover beards and moustaches.

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 331 posts
  • 157 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 02 November 2023 - 09:23 AM

Greetings Padfoot,

I would change the GMP and consider any mustache / beard should be covered with beard net, no matter the length, unless the person has a "military" shave or something close to it (depending on hair growth of each individual this can be a 1 or 2 days trimming). Generally as it is counterproductive to measure the length, you can set a general rule for eyebrows that should be trimmed a little when there seems to be an excess or "crazy" hair stand out. I would never set an issue though for eyelashes (apart from banning fake ones), as it is a delicate matter and none really trims his eyelashes. I mean it can be dangerous and cause eye-infections etc and trimming them can also cause more shedding (they don't exactly work the same as the rest of facial hair).

Regards!

PQAManager

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 114 posts
  • 27 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 November 2023 - 04:00 PM

We tried different lengths and it just got ridiculous.  Now we have no tolerance.  Clean shaved or beard guard.  You forgot to shave, beard guard.  Zero tolerance is a whole lot easier to monitor than a certain length.  And yes, I know, some have dark hair and get a 5 o'clock shadow.  If you don't shave before you come to work the next day, it is a beard guard.  And yes, I've seen arm air longer and busier than someone's hair on their head...what you going to do?  May need arm sleeve protection.  No matter the risk you need a risk evaluation and limits.  Good luck!  Set clear boundaries with your GMPs.  People will push where they can, and you need to make sure your product is protected at all costs! 

WhySoCereus

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 November 2023 - 06:40 PM

I agree with Scampi on this one as well. Have a clear set of expectations with a clear set of outcomes.

If in doubt, make everyone wear a shroud. This would also deal with pesky fly-aways and neck hair that never quite seems to be restrained.

ChristinaK

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 200 posts
  • 67 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Art, Games, Gardening, Costuming, Public Health, Composting (with the power of worms!)

Posted 07 November 2023 - 07:34 PM

I've always implemented that beard nets must be worn unless the person is freshly-shaven. Hairnets must be worn even if the person is bald. Hair style and color don't matter, but all hair must fit completely in a single hairnet (we have 2 sizes). It's just easier enforcement.

You can ask, "If you found a hair in your food, do you care about the size of the hair? No, you care that you found a hair at all."

-Christina

Spite can be a huge motivator for me to learn almost anything.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: facial hair, beardnet, gmp, sqf, hair, beard, mustache

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users