Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 April 2024 - 03:27 PM

2.5.1 Validation and Effectiveness (Mandatory)
2.5.1.1 The methods, responsibility, and criteria for ensuring the effectiveness of all applicable 
elements of the SQF Program shall be documented and implemented. The methods 
applied shall validate that:
i. Good Manufacturing Practices are confirmed to ensure they achieve the required results; 
ii. Critical food safety limits are reviewed annually and re-validated or justified by regulatory
standards when changes occur; and
iii. Changes to the processes or procedures are assessed to ensure the controls are still effective.
Records of all validation activities shall be maintained

Hello! It's been a while since I've sat through an SQF audit.  In the past, I would validate each pre-requisite program due to receiving minors over this, learning from experience.  But judging from review to recent experiences and guidance changing on SQF (version 9) it appears as though you don't have to validate every pre-requisite program as in the past.  Can anyone shed some light this who's sat through an audit recently (as I'm trying to decide what to do, I would really appreciate it) ?

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 861 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 April 2024 - 05:04 PM

My opinion is (and it is different than others)

They use several different terms (validate, ensure the effectiveness, confirmeed to ensure) in this clause.   To many validation in food safety only applies to CCP / PCs.  Whether you call it validation, ensure the effetiveness, or confirmed to ensure...   you need / want to make sure that you programs are achieving the intended result.   For instance, if you conduct atp swabs after sanitation and routinely a large portion of them do not pass, there is something not quite right with your program and it needs to be evaluated.    

When I see current good manufacturing practices in a SQFI document  - to me it means section 11.  The section is called good manufacturing practices for food products.   This section contains what many would consider the prerequisite programs.    

Thus my opionion is that you need to "validate", "confirm", or ensure prerequisite programs to be in compliance.   I would think / hope that you would want to any way as what is the purpose of program that is not achieving the intended result.  

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 861 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 April 2024 - 05:21 PM

in terms of it being requried for an audit: 

https://www.ifsqn.co.../?hl=validation

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

foodmcc

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 April 2024 - 06:17 PM

Wow thank you, that answers my question then.

You just never know how these auditors approach things so rather be safe than sorry.

One year I validated programs according to SQF and then the auditor said it had to be according to Codex Alimentarius  :eek_yello:

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SQF, Validation, Pre-requisite Programs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users