Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 April 2024 - 05:09 PM

I have been reading through multiple discussion boards.

What I am looking for is are we required to go beyond what SQF requires?

For example, they are listing sulfites as an allergen and saying mock recall should be done twice annually instead of only once for SQF. 

This is our first time that we are being required to have the Costco addendum.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,697 posts
  • 1149 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 30 April 2024 - 05:24 PM

There are some nuances to the Costco one specific to their requirements.

Our facilities that are SQF certified do 2-4 mocks a year,  

I don't think the Costco addm is that far off base.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

bsearls

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 April 2024 - 06:22 PM

OK

So, if they find a nonconformance with the additional Costco requirements, how does that work?

Would the auditor notate that on the Costco specific portion, but it would not count against your SQF score?

Then you would have to perform additional corrective actions specifically for Costco?

TIA!

coffeeQA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 May 2024 - 12:51 PM

We recently had a Costco addendum added on to our SQF audit. 

Any non-conformances for the Costco addendum were included in to 1 minor NC, however it does count with the SQF score. The NC is still included in our portal from our certifying body to provide corrective actions. 

bsearls

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 May 2024 - 01:24 PM

Was the non-conformance part of the additional requirements though or against the regular SQF code?

For example, if you only did one mock recall, you would be covered under SQF but not Costco. I don't see how they could lower your SQF score for something not in their SQF code. 

Thanks!

coffeeQA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 May 2024 - 02:41 PM

It was against the Costco code and was counted against our SQF score. 

Example: Costco requires recalls to be completed in 2 hours. SQF does not have a time requirement explicitly called out. As this was not in our recall policy, it was counted against us. 

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 676 posts
  • 190 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 May 2024 - 05:16 PM

Can confirm Costco Addendum findings are subtracted from your total SQF score.  By applying the Costco Addendum to your scope, it effectively becomes part of the code you are being audited against.  The logic makes sense to me:  you run your normal operations and everything goes okay, but when the auditor wants to observe a process related to Costco they witness a critical finding, they're not just going to fail your Costco portion.  Most of the plants I've worked with have regular customer product running via the same lines and processes as the Costco product, so counting them separate for audit purposes isn't representative of the work you're doing.

Additionally, Costco Addendum isn't a full code in of itself.  It relies on the base program elements of SQF code, only calling out more stringent requirements on areas Costco believed SQF was too lax for their standards.

ChristinaK

Weird but Fun

• IFSQN Member
  • 213 posts
  • 68 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Art, Games, Gardening, Costuming, Public Health, Composting (with the power of worms!)

Posted 02 May 2024 - 05:40 PM

If you have a non-conformance on the Costco addendum, it does subtract from your SQF score. The reasoning is because SQF states several times that sites must follow regulatory and customer requirements to supply safe food.

For example, one of the first clauses in SQF Food Manufacturing ed. 9 that mentions following customer requirements is 2.1.1.1, the requirement for senior management to have a statement declaring their commitment to "Comply with customer and regulatory requirements to supply safe food."

-Christina

Spite can be a huge motivator for me to learn almost anything.

careyallen75*

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 May 2024 - 06:47 PM

It is not an additional deduction on top of the points deducted for the SQF clause non-conformance. points are only deducted for non-conformance to SQF clauses. The Costco related deficiency correlates to an SQF requirement, which is where the finding goes. As someone earlier said, most often “customer requirements…”. This would be evaluated whether it’s Costco or some other customer who sets specifications for suppliers.

Edited by careyallen75*, 02 May 2024 - 06:53 PM.

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 552 posts
  • 108 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 May 2024 - 09:36 PM

.... I don't see how they could lower your SQF score for something not in their SQF code. 

Not meeting customer specifications.

11.2.3 Calibration
11.2.3.1 The methods and responsibility for calibration and re-calibration of measuring, testing, and inspection equipment used for monitoring activities outlined in prerequisite programs, food safety plans, and other process controls, or to demonstrate compliance with customer specifications, shall be documented and implemented. Software used for such activities shall be validated as appropriate.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SQF, Costco, Recall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users