What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Live Bugs-HELP!

Started by , Jun 06 2014 01:24 PM
7 Replies

Hello all,

SInce I started 2 months ago as QA manager there have been at least 16 sightings a month of live bugs and a third of these found inside our RTE, room temperature, production room. Although I have taken the appropriate steps to contact the pest company and they come spray every time, I don't feel like enough is being done to control this issue. 

My only other experience is with cold process plants so I know the temperature was a detterent in itself; can anyone advise over whether this frequency is a huge red flag or somewhat common in this type of production?

We are under contract for another 6 months unless I can prove they are really dropping the ball on this.

Thanks!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Live seafood wholesale information Tote Dumping live raw crabs onto a conveyor belt Food Safety Live 2021 - Day 2 Food Safety Live 2021 - Day 1 Seafood distributor: microbiological testing for live holding tanks? ie, fish, crab, prawns, lobster, shellfish etc.
[Ad]

Do you have bug lights, pheromone traps, and all of that good stuff?

Have you tried cleaning and sanitizing the areas thoroughly where the live bugs have been found?  Are they always in the same areas or just everywhere?

I worked in one place that we had issues on one wall with springtails (a little fly like thing)...

Sometimes it can help if you can control the air pressure in the room to keep them out.

when i had a ant issue i basically monitored the activity myself and found out the source. Once i figured out where they were coming in (small hole in the concrete floor and few areas along wall) i instructed the maintenance dept to fill the cracks with suitable material. Its holding up pretty well for over a year....

Yes, you need to identify the bugs to see where is most likely they are coming in. Could it be on people's clothing, or a gap in a door....

All good advice.  Identify the bug, find its source and you will better be able to solve the problem.  You might also want to consult another pest control expert to advise you. 

First, be sure to do cleaning according to a schedule (MCS) to eliminate pest harborage. Also, do regular plant inspections every month to see where the problem areas are. Be sure to look at overhead structures and tops of electrical boxes, anywhere you cannot see is probably where they are thriving. Furthermore, be sure to rotate stock and inspect opened ingredient boxes/bags for proper sealing of inside and outside packaging. You should be inspecting incoming vehicles and the materials they are delivering to your plant. Do a through re-inspection on a regular basis of sensitive products and ingredients. If bugs continue, you probably have an infestation in one area or ingredient.

Good Luck

Taste Maker

Memphis, TN

Hi afendrick,

My first feelings are that your pest control company is not suitable.

If we had an insect in a RTE area I would be wanting some very good answers from my pest control company.

Spraying is not a defence as such (it can be for spiders etc) They should have already told you what type of insect you are dealing with and how they will fix the issue. Their Entomologist (if they do not have one then I would be changing pest control companies straight away) should be able to identify and advise on your insects. You want to know where they are coming from, why they are coming in (ingress points etc) and then get a proactive plan in place to prevent further infestation.

:)

1 Like
You want to know where they are coming from, why they are coming in (ingress points etc) and then get a proactive plan in place to prevent further infestation.

:)

Exactly :thumbup: The pest controller needs to be much more proactive.

Put your concerns and expectations in writing to them.

Regards,

Tony

Similar Discussion Topics
Live seafood wholesale information Tote Dumping live raw crabs onto a conveyor belt Food Safety Live 2021 - Day 2 Food Safety Live 2021 - Day 1 Seafood distributor: microbiological testing for live holding tanks? ie, fish, crab, prawns, lobster, shellfish etc. My first live webinar session Process of preserving and supplying live fish and seafood Food Safety Live 2020 - Feedback Food Safety Live 2020 Topic Ideas for Food Safety Live 2020