What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Head coverings....how do you handle them?

Started by , Jul 16 2014 06:24 PM
17 Replies

Ok, so this was a new one to me and I apologize if this has been addressed but I was not able to find and answer in a quick search.  We require all staff to wear hair nets.  That being said what do you do if someone wants to wear a baseball cap?  Does it just have to be covered?  Should we ban them all together?  Also what if the hat is religious such as a yamaka, then how do we address the situation without being discriminating?  Anyone else have this issue?  I tend to be pretty straight line- if the policy is no hats then that means none at all.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Special requirements for wearing hair nets and religious head covering FSSC 22000 V5 Head Office Functions Validation / Verification of a multi-head hooper PPE - poster for order of dressing head to toe Full time student part time technical manager stress head!
[Ad]

It depends on the environment and the hat.  In some of plants where staff are working in really cold rooms, we have allowed sweater caps as long as they are covered with a hairnet. Same thing for the hair coverings worn by Muslims.  I have not had to deal with a Yakama.  My concern with the Yamaka is that often they use bobby pins to keep them on and my concern is that the bobby pin is going to become a foreign object. 

Generally speaking ball caps have been excluded from the plants I have been in.  They don't provide warmth, they are not religious (although I understand some people view sports that way) and what is the necessity? 

I generally don't allow baseball caps as they don't really serve a bona fide purpose. As well, they tend to not be very sanitary.

I worked in one plant where ballcaps were allowed under the first Quality Manager.  After she left the next quality manager disallowed the wearing of ballcaps/hats with the explanation that they can be full of germ/disease/bacteria/dirt/etc and there is no way to know if they are clean. 

Please see post #14 on this thread for my full dissertation I have previously posted on ballcaps (hats of any kind): http://www.ifsqn.com...-culture/page-2

As for religious headwear the general consensus that was come to was the idea stated by Magenta "Basically, we won't send anyone to hell, but we won't allow religious stuff if it isn't *mandated* by the religion". Which is somewhat the same in what I've found looking at different countries thoughts on the subject.

http://www.ifsqn.com...ing/#entry73281

Any head coverings (ball caps, scarves, etc) have to be covered by a hair net.  We do allow them,but they have to be covered.

As, Snookie as advised it depends on the product/process and how PPE is properly donned.  

Any "street" clothing needs to be adequately contained by PPE in high risk product/processing. Head gear is no different in terms of possible contamination than any other personal clothing.  

Head gear is a great primary barrier for hair restraint as long as  it's constrained in consolidation with PPE.

your problem almost same with me, i have problem with beard, because moslem almost all have beard

so we use beard nest in hygiene area,

can anyone share beard nest supplier?

beard nest

Couldnt resist. You probably  mean beard net though.

All of the big suppliers carry beard nets, grainger, uline, and amazon are big ones, but they're wildly available.

1 Like1 Thank

I have to agree with Mr. I we do not allow them for the same reason. when I explain why we do not allow them in our GMP training, I always ask the individual if they wear baseball caps. If the answer is yes my next question is when was the last time you washed the one. I can count on one hand the number of people that can give me an answer other than never.

Kevin

I have to agree with Mr. I we do not allow them for the same reason. when I explain why we do not allow them in our GMP training, I always ask the individual if they wear baseball caps. If the answer is yes my next question is when was the last time you washed the one. I can count on one hand the number of people that can give me an answer other than never.

Kevin

It's also the same argument I use for cell phones to operators.  If you have a problem with people using cell phones ask them if they ever use it in the bathroom.  Ask them how often they clean their phone.  It's easy to get them to see the logic... even if they don't agree with it.

All of the big suppliers carry beard nets, grainger, uline, and amazon are big ones, but they're wildly available.

And you probably mean widely. <evil grin>

Indead I did.  XD

Indead I did.  XD

I don't know with Magenta wildly might have been a valid answer.  :rofl2:  :roflmao:  It is one of things we love about her. 

1 Thank

hair net

IMEX Hats/turbans/etc for religious reasons can be left on but must be covered with a hair net. Beanies in cold environments/weather were also allowed but again had to be completely covered with a hair net. Caps have never been allowed anywhere I have worked. At the end of the day they serve no real purpose unless you are outside in the sun and then it's more than likely that they're not wearing a hairnet to begin with. 

We do not allow any hats or headwear. Only the hair net. If it was colder than 57 degrees in the facility we might make exceptions.

Indead I did.  XD

This could go on......! :lol2:

1 Thank

Ok, so this was a new one to me and I apologize if this has been addressed but I was not able to find and answer in a quick search.  We require all staff to wear hair nets.  That being said what do you do if someone wants to wear a baseball cap?  Does it just have to be covered?  Should we ban them all together?  Also what if the hat is religious such as a yamaka, then how do we address the situation without being discriminating?  Anyone else have this issue?  I tend to be pretty straight line- if the policy is no hats then that means none at all.

I am currently looking after on some practices for wearing of religious clothing and the this one is the closest thread I have searched.

For the company I am working with, wearing of head cap or head mob is strictly implemented. However, it was observed that there is a need to consider on the guideline those religious clothing worn by some of the employees such as hadjib and turban.

How is this religious clothing controlled in other companies? Is it required to wear head mob to cover the head dress? How about if these clothing is worn as street clothing? Is it right to require them to change clothing to be worn inside the food factory?

Your comments is highly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Similar Discussion Topics
Special requirements for wearing hair nets and religious head covering FSSC 22000 V5 Head Office Functions Validation / Verification of a multi-head hooper PPE - poster for order of dressing head to toe Full time student part time technical manager stress head! Wearing disposable head coverings over religious headscarves Any legal requirement on labelling Beef Head meat? Trying to get my head around the FSMA GMPs Religious Head Scarves How to protect light and head lights on our fork lifts?