What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Shelf Life of old/redundant packaging

Started by , Aug 22 2014 12:36 PM
4 Replies
Hi,

We currently are sitting on some stock of old/redundant packaging in our external storage area. Some of the punnets, films and labels are stored for over a year. Everything is stored in appropriate manner and as it should be. My question is, for how long you are allowed to keep this packaging till is not safe to use or at what point it should be discarded, our Purchasing department is refusing to discard any of it until I prove that there is some food safety regulation to do so. Your help is much apricieated.

Kind Regards,
Damian
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Stability Shelf-Life Shelf Life of Primary Packaging Cause of condensation in shelf stable dressing cup Yeast and Latic Acid limits for Poultry Shelf Life Testing Shelf Life Testing Risk Assessment
[Ad]

Generally film must be used within 18 months (speak to your film supplier or check on your specification)  - this time scale decreases though if you have film with coldseal on. After a year you will be unable to get a seal on the film. Less of a food safety issues more of wasted production time trying to get it to work!

:welcome:

Hi, Hello and than you for your response. our products are being heat-sealed and product is to be washed before use. As long as there is not EU or any other regulations I am happy with it,

thanks and regards,

Damian

Generally film must be used within 18 months (speak to your film supplier or check on your specification)  - this time scale decreases though if you have film with coldseal on. After a year you will be unable to get a seal on the film. Less of a food safety issues more of wasted production time trying to get it to work!

Or a higher cost in complaints and returns for products where the seal may not be holding after it leaves the plant. 

Similar Discussion Topics
Stability Shelf-Life Shelf Life of Primary Packaging Cause of condensation in shelf stable dressing cup Yeast and Latic Acid limits for Poultry Shelf Life Testing Shelf Life Testing Risk Assessment Milk powder - short shelf life Shelf life of vacuumed rainbow trout fillets Pasteurizing Chilli Relish to extend shelf life Shelf life issue fresh fish Shelf Life Standards