• 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 January 2024 - 01:24 PM

Hey! 
I hope you are all doing well.

It's my first time here. After searching in Google some platforms that can help me, i found that place so i'm really happy.

I use whole milk powder (26%-29% fat) for making chooclate ans spreads. The milk powder have now 2 month untill expiry date.

I have two qestions plasese:

1. Milk powder is the shorter shelf life ingrinden in the recipe. So i should mark the spread like the milk powder expiry date? (on my assumption that making spreads is mainly mixing and grinding, there is no fundamental change in the ingredients).

2. Which shelf-stable products can i make with whole milk powder that will be with longer shelf life than 2 month? (dulce de lache? concerted milk?)

I hope I wirte it in the correct forum. If anyone has any insights, I would love to hear them.

Have a great day!

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,233 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 29 January 2024 - 05:27 AM

Hi Goaty,

:welcome:

Welcome to the IFSQN forums.

Ideally it would be best to put the whole milk powder in a product that will be reprocessed such as a pasteurised, sterilised or UHT product.

I would be checking the whole milk powder for quality and micro if you are intending to put it in a spread without a step that will kill pathogens and reduce micro laoding. Matching/reducing the spread shelf life is also a good idea.

Kind regards,

Tony

Goaty

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 30 January 2024 - 05:06 PM

Hey Toni!
Thank you very much 😊

I thought about concerted milk and dulce de leche.
Can I do the heats treatment after the filling (glass jar). I wondering if I could pasteurize (UHT possible as well?). I thought with Autoclave.

We can also add Potassium sorbate.

jay2023

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 61 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 February 2024 - 11:55 PM

Its likely that the expiry date on the milk powder is a best before date- milk powder is usually an ambient product so still micro safe after expiry but quality may start to suffer (eg powder clumping together). I would contact the supplier and request a shelf life extension. If they will not give an extension but confirm it is safe past the expiry date, you could do taste panels on the products made, retain samples and log the use of milk powder as an internal concession on the basis that it is a quality issue not a food safety issue and you have carried out a taste panel and (hopefully) found the quality to be acceptable. the retained sample can then be checked at end of the finished product shelf life to ensure the product is still of acceptable quality

Thanked by 1 Member:

Goaty

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 February 2024 - 01:46 PM

Hey.
Thanks for your answer!

Its likely that the expiry date on the milk powder is a best before date- milk powder is usually an ambient product so still micro safe after expiry but quality may start to suffer (eg powder clumping together). I would contact the supplier and request a shelf life extension. If they will not give an extension but confirm it is safe past the expiry date, you could do taste panels on the products made, retain samples and log the use of milk powder as an internal concession on the basis that it is a quality issue not a food safety issue and you have carried out a taste panel and (hopefully) found the quality to be acceptable. the retained sample can then be checked at end of the finished product shelf life to ensure the product is still of acceptable quality

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users