What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Measurement

Started by , Jan 16 2004 07:55 PM
2 Replies
I have just been talking to my son who is studying for a Business IT Degree and we were browsing the website and saw the 'inspirational quotations' forum and he said that he had a quotation we could think about. It is by Lord Kelvin,

"When you can measure what you are speaking about and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely in your thoughts, advanced to the stage of science."

Lord Kelvin was talking about measuring processes. How many people do you know who are reluctant to use measurements of any kind?
Roger Athlon
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Acceptable tolerance of calibration measurement equipment Measurement uncertainty interpretation BRCGS 5.6.2 - Measurement of Uncertainty for Internal Lab Kill step measurement for bakery items BRCGS Issue 9 - Uncertainty Measurement
[Ad]

How many people do you know who are reluctant to use measurements of any kind?

Not many - in fact I can't think of any.

By the way welcome back Roger.

Regards,
Simon

Lord Kelvin was talking about measuring processes.

One italian Quality Guru named Giovanni Mattana, past president of Italian Association of Quality, used to say that we can improve something if and only if we can measure it.
It's just the same concept as Lord Kelvin, history repeats itself. B)

Similar Discussion Topics
Acceptable tolerance of calibration measurement equipment Measurement uncertainty interpretation BRCGS 5.6.2 - Measurement of Uncertainty for Internal Lab Kill step measurement for bakery items BRCGS Issue 9 - Uncertainty Measurement Viscosity measurement for batters, ideas yall? BRC Clause 1.1.2 – NC on food safety culture plan measurement Looking for a procedure for weights and volume measurement of bottled orange juice in PET bottles Carcass temperature measurement from OPRP to PRP pH measurement during yogurt fermentation - fluctuations