What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

2 point vs 3 point thermometer calibration

Started by , Oct 16 2014 12:22 AM
4 Replies
If I need to measure temperature of frozen, chill and cooking temperature, does it mean I need to calibrate 3 point of -18C, 0C & 100C?

I have heard of two point calibration may be somehow good enough, say 0& 100. Any suggestion?

Calibration of 18C need to do externally and cause hesitation...
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Checking frozen incoming material using digital probe thermometer Calibration Certificate Expiration Questions used to determine the critical control point Metal detectable Infrared thermometer? Metal Detector Validation vs Calibration
[Ad]

If I need to measure temperature of frozen, chill and cooking temperature, does it mean I need to calibrate 3 point of -18C, 0C & 100C?

I have heard of two point calibration may be somehow good enough, say 0& 100. Any suggestion?

Calibration of 18C need to do externally and cause hesitation...

I think the record  low temp for multiplication  of bacteria  (generally) is -15c  (Planococcus sp)- for pathogens I believe it's closer to -1.5o c (listeria sp) -though i have heard anecdotally as low as -5 (citation needed)

& I personally have never encountered 3 point calib. happening outside of a research lab so....(based on that) from a safety perspective-  I wouldn't worry too much about it!

Mike

Dear Mike/Jackson Tsang,

(shortened version sincethe forum system just deleted my first post)(Grrr).

I routinely use 5 point calibration, -18, 0, 10, 90, 100 (degC).

Method - set up one certificated master thermometer and generate sub-masters.

It logically also relates to the accuracy required for the intended application. For example, IMEX most TCs have  insuffiicient accuracy  for CCPs / Validation if using 0/100 degC only and at intermediate/external values.

(-18degC "area"  may be required to monitor freezing capabilities / validate cold rooms)

Rgds / Charles.C

1 Like

I utilize both 2 and 3 point calibration checks, based on the intended device application (as Charles.C mentioned). If using a thermometer/thermocouple for a narrow temperature range (processing 'room' temp, cook temp, freezing temp) I have typically used a 2 point calibration that brackets the anticipated min/max temp range. When using a device measuring a wider range - cold and hot temps, I use a three point calibration: bracketing the extremes and then one point in or around the middle of that range. I have found this methodology supportable, ensures sufficient accuracy, and not excessively time-consuming.

Keith

1 Like

better not use the same thermometer for a wide range

choose one for cold and one for hot ranges

if you are using a an accredited thermometer as reference for calibration

this is attached with an accreditation report demonstrating the temperature range of accuracy

I suggest that you prefer more practical reference temperatures, related to common practice e.g. -18 for deep freezer, 4 for refrigeration, 15 for cold cabinets, 63 for hot cabinets, 75 for pasteurization or cooking etc.

in that way your calibrated thermometer will be more related to your application

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Checking frozen incoming material using digital probe thermometer Calibration Certificate Expiration Questions used to determine the critical control point Metal detectable Infrared thermometer? Metal Detector Validation vs Calibration (11.2.10.2) Calibrated equipment found out of calibration ISO 8573-1 Compliance-Point of Use Infrared Thermometer Calibration Acceptable tolerance of calibration measurement equipment Area Thermometer Calibration