Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 March 2024 - 03:02 PM

So I have two metal detectors, both from different vendors. Each vendor refuses to "calibrate" the other's metal detector, but they will agree to validate competitor's machine and provide a certificate. Technically, the metal detectors program & calibrate themselves, so I am trying to avoid paying two different vendors +$1,200 each to come in and just run some test pieces and give me a certificate. I'd rather just pay one of the companies that money and save a good chunk of change....

My biggest question is: Do I need a calibration certificate for both my metal detectors or does a validation certificate suffice for the SQF code?

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 528 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 March 2024 - 03:07 PM

I'm not sqf, I'm fssc, but I'd say yes, it's a requirement.  

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 March 2024 - 03:53 PM

Are the MDs CCPc / PCs?   

They would need  to be calibrated (11.2.3.1)

They would need to be validated (11.7.4.3)

SQF gives you a lot of freedom on how you accomplish these tasks.   There is no SQFI requirement that you have a certificate for either calibration or validation. 

It is nice to have the MFG go through the units as they can spot issues that just testing the pieces will not find.   

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 19 March 2024 - 06:22 PM

$1200 x 2 seems like a small price to pay to know that your machines actually work properly no?

Generally speaking, you should follow the manufacturers recommendations, so if they say validate, then validate, but if they recommend calibration annually, then you should have them calibrated

It doesn't matter if the MD is a CCP or a PC   no where does the code make any such separation,   if that were the case, then I wouldn't need to send me thermometer out for calibration annually because it's not used for either of those

11.2.3 Calibration 11.2.3.1 The methods and responsibility for calibration and re-calibration of measuring, testing, and inspection equipment used for monitoring activities outlined in prerequisite programs, food safety plans, and other process controls, or to demonstrate compliance with customer specifications, shall be documented and implemented. Software used for such activities shall be validated as appropriate. 11.2.3.3 Calibration shall be performed according to regulatory requirements and/or to the equipment manufacturers’ recommended schedule. 11.2.3.4 Procedures shall be documented and implemented to address the resolution of potentially affected products when measuring,  testing, or inspection equipment is found to be out of calibration.      11.2.3.6 A directory of measuring, testing, and inspection equipment that require calibration and records of the calibration tests shall be maintained. 

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Esoto728

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 March 2024 - 12:41 AM

Yes, calibration and validation are required. SQF,BRCGS,AIB are a few i have experienced require.

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2024 - 03:15 PM

I suspect this is going to be various company's interpretation on what validation is and what calibration is.

I'd suggest most external companies actually do neither.  I'm not SQF trained but at least when we're talking HACCP, validation is the ability of the control measure to work.  It can be based on design, initial trials etc but it's not something which should need to happen every year.  Calibration is going to be a process where a person checks a piece of machinery to ensure it is delivering the right results with any appropriate adjustment if needed.  

What I suspect either company would actually do is to come in, check it's working and give you a certificate.  You do have to question the value but I know auditors expect it.  If anything I'd say it's more of an annual verification.  But meh, I think it would be a tough auditor to not accept this.  But to satisfy the nitpicking auditor who may turn up, perhaps get from each supplier "what's different".  I.e. ask them to share what they'd do in a calibration vs. a validation and see if it's worth it?  

OR, look for a third supplier.  You may find that an independent contractor could and would calibrate both.  

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users