What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Calculating cocoa solids

Started by , Nov 13 2014 01:14 PM
5 Replies

Hi team

just trying to  "macgyver' a dark chocolate product with 80% cocoa solids

my base chocolate has 30%  solids and I would like to make up the rest with cocoa powder . is it safe to assume each % of cocoa powder added to the formulation contributes 1 % of cocoa solids?

would anyone share how they would calculate the amount of cocoa solids  in a choc product

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Calculating %DV for Nutrition Facts Table Calculating percent (%) DV (daily value) for protein? Law of Cooling for calculating time Calculating time and temperature for thawing a certain volume of frozen meat? Need a USA file for calculating nutrition facts and rounding for vitamins
[Ad]

Personally I don't know but is that something a brix test would be able to show you?  We used to use brix testing to determine undissolved solids in pasta sauce.

NO.  Adding 1 part cocoa solids needs to be divided by the total.  1 part solids/1 part solids does not have any meaning.

Chocolate:  0.3 parts (30%) solids and 0.7 (70%) parts other.

Example - add 0.5 parts solids:  now 0.8 parts solids (0.3 + 0.5) plus 0.7 parts other = total 1.5 parts (0.3 + 0.7 + 0.5 = 1.0 choc + 0.5 solids = 0.8 solids + 0.7 other = almost 50/50 ).

0.8 parts solids/1.5 parts total = 53% solids.

Chocolate:  70% other as base - needs to be changed to 20% new mix.  70/20 = 3.5 parts total needed.

You already have 1 part chocolate:  3.5 parts total - 1 part chocolate = 2.5 parts of solids added.

0.3 parts solids (from chocolate) + 2.5 parts solids added = 2.8 parts solids     3.5 parts total (solids and other)

2.8 total solids/3.5 total mix = 0.8 = 80% solids

1 Like

I would use the Pearson's Square, explained in this link - http://www.ext.colos...estk/01618.html

I used this method for years, not knowing how or where I stumbled upon it. Check it out, it should work.

Or this - http://www.dairyscie...ors/pearson.asp Either will work if I have understood your problem correctly.

NO.  Adding 1 part cocoa solids needs to be divided by the total.  1 part solids/1 part solids does not have any meaning.

Chocolate:  0.3 parts (30%) solids and 0.7 (70%) parts other.

Example - add 0.5 parts solids:  now 0.8 parts solids (0.3 + 0.5) plus 0.7 parts other = total 1.5 parts (0.3 + 0.7 + 0.5 = 1.0 choc + 0.5 solids = 0.8 solids + 0.7 other = almost 50/50 ).

0.8 parts solids/1.5 parts total = 53% solids.

Chocolate:  70% other as base - needs to be changed to 20% new mix.  70/20 = 3.5 parts total needed.

You already have 1 part chocolate:  3.5 parts total - 1 part chocolate = 2.5 parts of solids added.

0.3 parts solids (from chocolate) + 2.5 parts solids added = 2.8 parts solids     3.5 parts total (solids and other)

2.8 total solids/3.5 total mix = 0.8 = 80% solids

CMHeywood you forgot to carry the 2.

CMHeywood you forgot to carry the 2.

Where?

Similar Discussion Topics
Calculating %DV for Nutrition Facts Table Calculating percent (%) DV (daily value) for protein? Law of Cooling for calculating time Calculating time and temperature for thawing a certain volume of frozen meat? Need a USA file for calculating nutrition facts and rounding for vitamins Calculating Customer Complaint CPM? Procedure for Calculating CFU (Colony Forming Unit) Calculating formulation for new product with adjusted Bx Content Calculating fat % from visual lean? Calculating risk levels for Physical hazards