What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Bisphenol A in Packaging Materials

Started by , Mar 23 2015 05:54 PM
7 Replies

Has anyone had any customers getting their knickers in a twist about Bisphenol A in packaging materials?

The French seem to be getting the bit between their teeth about it.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Relying on declaration from supplier that material is Bisphenol A free Do you have recent regulations or articles regarding Bisphenol S? Bisphenol A limit Bisphenol A (BPA) and food packaging
[Ad]

I had two major customers request a policy statement that we do not use any food contact materials containing Bisphenol A. In turn I then had to get confirmation documents from my packaging suppliers. Attached is a very recent paper from NIH presenting research implicating the replacements used in "Bisphenol A free" packaging are similarly as harmful as Bisphenol A.

Kind Regards

Attached Files

1 Like1 Thank

Lots of people have their knickers in a knot over this one.....not just the French.

They do? So far only the French have banned it in close contact packaging in the EU. EU not happy about that either. More headaches for my clients... 

Attached Files

Some countries are odds with the latest conclusions made by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA).

No consumer health risk from bisphenol A exposure

EFSA’s comprehensive re-evaluation of bisphenol A (BPA) exposure and toxicity concludes that BPA poses no health risk to consumers of any age group (including unborn children, infants and adolescents) at current exposure levels. Exposure from the diet or from a combination of sources (diet, dust, cosmetics and thermal paper) is considerably under the safe level (the “tolerable daily intake” or TDI).

Read full article >>

1 Thank

Yes, about two, three years ago now our company started going BPA free with our packaging materials due to customer concerns. 

I've also read the article Simon is talking about in his above post, whether or not it will bring along changes it yet to be seen.

Yes, we have had many customers inquirer about BPA. It's a hot topic here in on the west coast. Especially in reference to  bottled water or plastic water bottles. We had to  attain letters from all of our bottle suppliers confirming that they do not use Bisphenol A in the bottles that we purchase. Those letters have come in handy on multiple occasions. Because it is such a frequently asked question, we now mention it on our website.

I get asked about this all the time and its standard for me to ask all suppliers and potential new suppliers to attest to the lack of BPA in all our materials.  

Also, if you want to get in front of it, verify all your materials are compliant with California Prop 65 and CONEG regulations as well.  Not to mention the FDA regs in 21 CFR. There's quite a few on packaging additives.  

And TNPP seems to be the next chemical du jour, for anyone who wants to get out in front of that.   

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Relying on declaration from supplier that material is Bisphenol A free Do you have recent regulations or articles regarding Bisphenol S? Bisphenol A limit Bisphenol A (BPA) and food packaging