What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Procedure and equipment for measuring Lobster Blood Protein

Started by , Apr 30 2015 10:48 PM
3 Replies

HI

I am inquiring to see if anyone has any knowledge of information on procedures and equipment for measuring lobster blood protein.

Thanks

C :shades:

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Food loss and waste procedure Validated Monitoring Procedure for Frozen Meat Products. BRC 4.6.1 - procedure to document purchase specification for new equipment Pasteurization Procedure for Tom Yum Paste In House Label Disfigurement Procedure
[Ad]

If you are interested in the major crustacean allergen, this company makes a kit that will detect it from any source.  People allergic to shrimp are also allergic to lobster and crab.  So the kit will do it all.

You would need an ELISA plate reader to perform this, as well as pipettes and other laboratory equipment.  Their technical support people could probably help you.

http://www.elisas.com.au/ 

Here's another kit.

http://www.neogen.co...-Crustacea.pdf 

There are a lot of these kinds of kits out there, but most of them are ELISA kits, and use a plate reader.  If you have not ever done an ELISA before, I suggest that you talk to the manufacturer for some kind of training.

There are a lot of services out there that will test for these allergens as well.

You asked about lobster "blood".  Lobsters don't have blood, they have hemolymph, btw.  But the protein that people are allergic to in crustaceans is from the muscle, it appears.

You did not say why you needed it, so I'm not sure what you are looking for.

Martha 

C Arsenault,

These two  papers seem to discuss lobster blood protein, not having to do with allergens, but rather as a measure of lobster quality.

Attached Files

1 Like1 Thank

C Arsenault,

These two  papers seem to discuss lobster blood protein, not having to do with allergens, but rather as a measure of lobster quality.

If this is what you are looking for, then you would need to know how to draw hemolymph from a lobster and read it on a hand-held refractometer that reads blood protein.  This refractometer mentions using it for lobster blood.

http://www.qasupplie...l#.VULs-NKrSCg 

To draw blood/hemolymph from a lobster, you will need to learn the technique, and syringes and needles.  I suspect that a marine biologist could tell you, or a company that uses this technique to assess the quality of their lobsters.

Martha

Similar Discussion Topics
Food loss and waste procedure Validated Monitoring Procedure for Frozen Meat Products. BRC 4.6.1 - procedure to document purchase specification for new equipment Pasteurization Procedure for Tom Yum Paste In House Label Disfigurement Procedure Does anyone have a really good template for a standard operating procedure work instruction? OPRP Hand Washing Procedure Pallet cleaning procedure and tape on the floors Traceability procedure in chocolate and candy making Procedure for microbiological analysis