What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Proof of Authenticity

Started by , Jun 02 2015 10:17 AM
3 Replies

Hello,

I am new to the BRC for Food Safety - could anyone please advise me how I can obtain packaging authenticity from our packaging supplier? By this I mean what would I need from them to satisfy the clause?

I believe the best way for me to do this for the raw food materials would be to get the info from my supplier from 'farm to fork'?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Rust proof locks for a chemical cage Scientific proof face masks extend shelf life because of reduced contamination Is there any definitive proof that a 4 log reduction is not adequate for air roasted seeds or beans? SQF 12.2.4 - Lighting and Light Fittings (shatter proof fittings and covers), does this apply to our operation? Seeking Source for shatter-proof mirrors
[Ad]

I would ask for a letter of guarantee from your packaging suppliers to show that the product that they are supplying you is 'authentic'.

1 Like

Also that it doesn't contain anything inks, dyes, etc. that could migrate  into your food. That the materials are food safe.

1 Like

I would not rely on certificates of authenticity unless I also had a supplier audit to back it up.  In my opinion, you need to conduct an (annual) audit of the supplier and determine that he is doing the same of his suppliers. 

For example, if you are using a multi-layer poly packing bag or on-line sealer system, you need to have test data for the material lots to assure that the layers exist and are doing their jobs.  There are standard industry tests for this (gas permeability, and so forth).  If it's printed material, you also need to assure the printing is properly cured in the production process and testing is performed.  You should also check that the supplier is assuring his raw material sources are giving him what they say they are.  That includes the layers and the printing materials.  Everything must be to the proper (food) grade and produced on equipment suited to the purpose (as Setanta suggests).

Because it's difficult to tell one multilayer product from another, you may need to rely on a third-party testing expert.  There are certain unscrupulous suppliers that make changes without your approval.  So, be sure your terms and conditions specify that no changes may occur without a management of change that includes your company's agreement.

I could go on and on.  But, it would be a good practice to perform a what-if analysis on your supply chain first.  From that, determine the most likely places where something can go wrong.  Prioritize them and attack them. 

Also, there are plenty of great audit schemes out there.  This organization as well as IPEC have great documents and guidance for it.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Mike

Similar Discussion Topics
Rust proof locks for a chemical cage Scientific proof face masks extend shelf life because of reduced contamination Is there any definitive proof that a 4 log reduction is not adequate for air roasted seeds or beans? SQF 12.2.4 - Lighting and Light Fittings (shatter proof fittings and covers), does this apply to our operation? Seeking Source for shatter-proof mirrors Cut Proof Gloves for trimming of low risk vegetables Shatter proof glass - applying a film, specific thickness required? How to mistake-proof records? Proof of Competency for Long Term Employees What evidence to show proof of review of HACCP system?