What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Caustic Soda (Sodium Hydroxide) processing aids

Started by , Jun 30 2015 11:10 PM
4 Replies

Hi

One of our supplier is using Sodium Hydroxide as one of suflower oil processing aids. Any idea what kind of verification test required to verify caustic residue? Many Thanks!!

Regards

Sutan

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Re-using Caustic from CIP system Cleaning Activated Carbon Filter with Caustic Soda (NaOH) CIP cleaning with caustic only Food Grade Caustic Lye
[Ad]

Hi

One of our supplier is using Sodium Hydroxide as one of suflower oil processing aids. Any idea what kind of verification test required to verify caustic residue? Many Thanks!!

Regards

Sutan

It depends what else is added but you might consider comparing pH to the standard sunflower oil which not treated with NaOH.

NaOH is strong alkali.

(Also possible that reaction may have occurred > soap)

Well, I don't think you can measure pH in oil because no water in it. So I don't think it would be reliable test.  Any lab testing option to test NaOH residue other than pH? Many Thanks

Regards

Sutan

Well, I don't think you can measure pH in oil because no water in it. So I don't think it would be reliable test.  Any lab testing option to test NaOH residue other than pH? Many Thanks

Regards

Sutan

I believe it has ffa but the problem for pH is no water.

the ffa is normally measured by titration in organic solvent. If the indicator shows acid, presumably not much alkali. :smile:

1 Thank

Thanks Charles. It makes sense.

Yes it has FFA test in the COA. Which is really low as a good quality oil (<1%)

Similar Discussion Topics
Re-using Caustic from CIP system Cleaning Activated Carbon Filter with Caustic Soda (NaOH) CIP cleaning with caustic only Food Grade Caustic Lye