What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

FSMA-FDA Registration for R&D

Started by , Sep 23 2015 08:09 PM
3 Replies

My facilities make food contact packaging. Our Corporate HQ does product testing and R&D and receives food from our customers in order to test the packaging. If there is a surplus, we occasionally give away the extra food, still sealed, to employees. In the past we have registered as an FDA facility due to this, on the basis that we're holding food that is consumed by the public. We fall under the exemption for supplier verification as an R&D facility except that we give the extra food away on occasion, maybe a few times per year. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue or gotten an exemption?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
FSMA 204 - GDST, tracking KDEs and CTEs,etc. SQF & FSMA Plan FSMA- Preventive Controls- Practical example of hazard analysis? BRCGS recognised by the FDA for FSMA Preventative Controls for Human Food Rule FSMA Topics
[Ad]
These days you're company may want to think twice before continuing this practice. Is the food sent to you're company to test the packaging safe? Is it ready to eat and if so has it been tested for pathogens? Any possibility of allergen cross-contact? If you don't have this information and one of your fellow employees become sick there could be liability issues.
1 Thank

On the face of it I agree with Esquef...but in order to make an educated judgement we would need to know what the food is (high, medium or low risk) and how safe it is when it comes to you (manufactured, stored, delivered and verified 100% safe or not).

Regards,

Simon

1 Thank

My best advice is to discontinue the practice due to liability.  I worked in a place where the leftover breading was donated to a pig farm and the pigs got sick.The owner try to get compensation from us for his loss of business.  I hate to waste food but with the times we are living in is not worth the aggravation.  Because of this incident, we had to discontinue the donation or giving away food due to left over, trials, and test runs to local Charities and Farms within the surrounding areas.

I hope this helps,

Arquelio

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
FSMA 204 - GDST, tracking KDEs and CTEs,etc. SQF & FSMA Plan FSMA- Preventive Controls- Practical example of hazard analysis? BRCGS recognised by the FDA for FSMA Preventative Controls for Human Food Rule FSMA Topics BRCGS Information on FSMA Final Rule on Requirements for Additional Traceability Records for Certain Foods Spice Industry Environmental Monitoring Program- Ready to Eat-FSMA Does tea manufacturing fall outside the scope of the FSMA? Differences between FSMA, VQIP and FDA Audits Estimated cost of a FSMA Gap Assessment (21CFR117)