What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Product description/Grouping for the hotel industry

Started by , Oct 15 2015 02:57 PM
5 Replies

I am implementing HACCP in a 5* hotel and I am a bit stuck at the product description. Do I take the Menu Item (Say Pork chops) and develop the product description that way? If yes (we are talking hundreds of Menu Items,

How do I go about it?, what should I include?

is it the preparation methods, temperatures at each point, holding requirements, ...that is above the labelling and consumer use requirements? 

I am not a hotelier, I am just a food safety consultant

Regards

1 Thank
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Product Labelling Guideline - Russia Steel-it epoxy paint for equipment product-contact surfaces Traceability issue with product receiving? Food Safety Culture in a Low Risk Product Facility (Wine) Dual Label for Single Product (FSANZ & FDA)
[Ad]

as you well say, if you make a description of each product, you never end up; so the best option is to divide your products into two: products that require thermal processing, and those that do not require thermal processing. This is a classification that FDA is developing in place of his old classification of potentially hazardous foods. In the case of raw materials, also you should use ratings to avoid having to describe all that you could use.

1 Like1 Thank

@Mwamuye. I feel your pulse. End product description for a food service industry like the hotel can be pretty challenging. However, the way around it is simply to group menus or products into ''End Product Categories'' that present largely similar characteristics. For instance, you could describe products as follows:

1. Cooked food, served hot(consisting of - starch, seafood, meat, poultry, vegetable, etc.)

2. Cooked food, served cold, e.g, mixed salads, salmon terrine, cold chicken pieces, vegetable salads, egg salad

3. Raw food, prepared and served cold and raw, e.g- Oysters, Beef carpaccio, lettuce, fruit salad, fruit platter, etc.

This way, you are able to cover more than 95% of menus available in the hotel as opposed to taking individual dishes or menus. Hope this helps

1 Like2 Thanks

Hi Mrs Mwamuye,

Classic refs/links -

FDA haccp manual food service and retail establishments.pdf   555.5KB   116 downloads

http://www.fda.gov/F.../ucm2006810.htm

Good Luck !

PS - Welcome to the Forum ! :welcome:

PPS - there are various threads on this forum relating to the grouping options/methods, try searching with "foodservice"

1 Thank

thank you Mrs Mwamuye,

I have recently faced this challenge with assisting a small catering company to set up their HACCP Plan.

IFSQN team. please notify me if Catering HACCP Plan would be quite different from the challenges faced by Mrs. Mwamuye in Hotel Catering?

thanks, Benzii

thank you Mrs Mwamuye,

I have recently faced this challenge with assisting a small catering company to set up their HACCP Plan.

IFSQN team. please notify me if Catering HACCP Plan would be quite different from the challenges faced by Mrs. Mwamuye in Hotel Catering?

thanks, Benzii

Hi Benzii,

The answer depends on yr specific processes and possibly the audit intentions (eg which Standard) but quite likely yes.

Also see this post -

http://www.ifsqn.com...indpost&p=96547

Similar Discussion Topics
Product Labelling Guideline - Russia Steel-it epoxy paint for equipment product-contact surfaces Traceability issue with product receiving? Food Safety Culture in a Low Risk Product Facility (Wine) Dual Label for Single Product (FSANZ & FDA) What approvals and controls do we need from third party processor of our RTE product? Scope of Certification product specific Repackaging of Food Grade product Is there a minimum PPM of nitrites necessary to deem a product food safe when curing meats? Requirements for shipping organic product that is sealed and only distributed by a certified distributor?