What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Lack of traceability during re-work

Started by , Oct 23 2015 12:55 AM
2 Replies

Hi everyone,

I work as a QA Officer at a company that produces tofu.

We make both white tofu and a marinated tofu (which is white tofu marinated in soy sauce).

There have been many underweight white tofu recently and my boss would like to re-work them by slicing them and making them into our marinated tofu.

The issue here is that he wants to re-work white tofu which have been made on different days/batch numbers.

I told the boss that doing that will mean that there will be no way to trace the products original batch number AND if in any case there was a problem on the one of the batches of the white tofu that is re-worked, the entire batch of marinated tofu would also have to be discarded.

My boss thinks the likelihood of this happening is low and he'd still 'take the risk' of using 7 different batches of white tofu to produce the marinated product.

What do you guys think of this?

We're certified under SQF Level 3.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Leaving Due to Lack of Support and Moral Objections Lack of Food Safety Culture and Management Commitment Corrective and Preventive Action for lack of records caused by Absence of a Quality Manager Lack of Food Safety and QA Education in College Mock Recall lack of traceability to batches
[Ad]

Hi, JHJ;

It's not uncommon to do this, however just make sure your policy is as robust as your practice. A few things you will need to accomplish for pos. release:

• Make sure you have a HACCP plan for rework (sounds crazy, but many companies neglect this large detail)
  • Create a 'work order' which lists all inputs into this new 'batch/lot'. This 'work order' accompanies all production, inspection, and shipping records.
  • Ensure that the finished goods are subject to all inspection and analysis (sec. 2.5).

Here is an example of a 'work order' we use at our facility:

Work Order.docx   13.83KB   124 downloads

1 Like3 Thanks

"What do you guys think of this?"

I echo what Slab said.  Also, Topps Meat is no longer in business.  They had a rework recall problem.

Similar Discussion Topics
Leaving Due to Lack of Support and Moral Objections Lack of Food Safety Culture and Management Commitment Corrective and Preventive Action for lack of records caused by Absence of a Quality Manager Lack of Food Safety and QA Education in College Mock Recall lack of traceability to batches ISO 22000 NC related to lack of legislation register and link to product and FSMA How to postpone a BRC audit due to lack of product availability? Frustrated at lack of Senior Management Commitment Root cause analysis, lack of time to effectively train employees (Lack of) Management Commitment